• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help vet doesn't know what to do

Kipper

Mama Doe
I rushed my snowy to the vet yesterday as his tummy was swollen hard & I could feel his intestines. Snowy has an impaction, so far he's had an X-ray (no blockage) & a scan to check his liver as his bloodworks indicated a liver problem. Subsequent scan has confirmed liver ok.
Snowy is eating (a little) & drinking but not pooping & is on all the usual medication eg lactulose, pain relief etc
Vet is flummoxed & has emailed & tried ringing the rabbit savvy vet for advice but he's not replying. If Snowy doesn't poo soon then it's either a major operation &/or death.
Any advice would be great, poor baby had a horrible start to his life & is only 16 months old

I would take him to the nearest rabbit savvy vet, post on here asking for Rabbit savvy vets in whatever town

Some good news - the rabbit vet has been in & seen Snowy, I don't know what was said because receptionist didn't know but I'm going down to see Snowy at 20:15 so I will find out then.

That's good news anyway, at least she tell the other vets the plan of action, keep us posted.

Back