• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tango - what to do now ...? :(

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Just got in from work and thought the buns must be bored as it's raining so took them some greens.

Tango refused both the greens and the pellets I then offered. Also didn't fancy rose leaves or dandelions.

However, he is still hopping about. Did thump when I tried to feel his stomach but he doesn't like to be touched much anyway.

Should I rush to the vets before they close? :'( I feel sick.

He's had this before but was more obviously uncomfortable, I rushed him in and he was kept in for 2 nights, was very close but he pulled through and the insurance paid.

Please help :(

Last edited:
Yes you don't want to leave it, the sooner the better. Better safe than sorry and having to call the emergency vets out.

Back now. He's been given metacam and another painkiller , and some gut stimulant that I didn't get the name of.
Have fibreplex and Zantac now to give him 3x a day and another appointment on the morning anyway

Thank you. I have done a very bad job of giving him his medicine and he's had to wash quite a bit off his face... :(
He's eaten some more hay now but doesn't want anything else. Still no poos yet.

Could you put it on a tiny bit of weetabix. Most rabbits will eat it like that and less stressful

Morning all.
I've tried offering the meds on banana, parsley and a plain shreddie with no success, so this morning had to try syringing them into his mouth. I put him on the table with his back to me and think he took in about half of it, which is better than none I suppose.
He still won't eat any pellets or veg but is eating hay now and has left maybe 10-15 droppings overnight.
Yesterday evening I brought Finx in to visit him and he brightened up a bit and had a hop around the living room with her.

:wave: Hope Tango is feeling better soon.

For my really fussy buns, I grate some carrot and put the meds on that. Only works if it is a small amount they are to get, and if the bun is eating. Otherwise, it's a nightmare!

Is he bonded with Finx? If so, splitting them up will probably be making him more stressed. Can you not keep them together? :wave: x

He's part of a trio, but he has to be separate so I can monitor his poo!

He has had to be separated before for a similar thing and they've been ok but I'm making sure they get as much contact as possible. The others do get Tango moving a bit more as he's grumpy on his own :(

I will try him with grass when I get home thanks. Mum is with him now, he has eaten 3 dandelion leaves but doesn't want any more. It sounds like he hasn't pooed much since the vet trip this morning either. When he does go, they are normal sized, which I thought was odd? I'm used to them being tiny in this situation?

Did the Vet check his teeth ? I am assuming that Tango is the lop ? Lops are very prone to problems with their teeth.

Is he still having pain relief ?

Back