• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG seriously need advice

rachylou

Warren Veteran
We have found the perfect house and have put down the deposit and all the reference checks are almost done so soon we need to sign on the dotted line.
Problem is, we went back to measure a space in the kitchen for a fridge and had another look in the cupboards and I saw 3 bottles of slug and snail poision in the down stairs cupboard which I hadnt seen the first time.
I really really want this house it is lovely and we are really lucky to have found it BUT I am now terrified that by moving in Jimby and Cookie will die.
I know I HAVE to trust other peoples advice and opinions as mine are too conflickted (sp) with OCD.
So I really need to ask the following questions-

1 ) would you still move there not knowing where the poison was?
2) would you search the garden for any sign of poison?
3) would you worry about going in the garden, doing some gardening, getting covered in soil then going back in the house?
4) would you worry if your child rolled around all over the grass and then came back in the house and sat on the sofa etc?

I know that if I don't follow through with this house I would be letting the OCD rule me again and rob me of something we so desperately want (a family home) but I am scared that I wont be able to cope once moved in and that would present a HUGE problem.
I dont want my babies to die :cry:

I admit it would bother me and I would take steps to be vigilant.

On the positive side you have seen the poison and you know to be vigilant for it which is far better than going into that situation and not being aware, it would just never cross my mind to be vigilant for that without having seen it.

Second positive - it is highly likely that the slug pellets haven't been used for about 6 / 9 months (I'm guessing ?) I wouldn't use them but I think it's too early in the year for anyone to have started with them and no need since about September/October.

Is there any scope for asking when they were used to set your mind at rest? A lot of them are supposed to be 'wildlife and pet friendly' and although I wouldn't rely on that it might be of less serious risk.

Would you be intending the bunnies to have freedom in the garden? In that situation I would probably restrict mine to a scrubbed flagged area for at least a few months. I'd make sure I washed my hands after any gardening (would anyway!).

We have found the perfect house and have put down the deposit and all the reference checks are almost done so soon we need to sign on the dotted line.
Problem is, we went back to measure a space in the kitchen for a fridge and had another look in the cupboards and I saw 3 bottles of slug and snail poision in the down stairs cupboard which I hadnt seen the first time.
I really really want this house it is lovely and we are really lucky to have found it BUT I am now terrified that by moving in Jimby and Cookie will die.
I know I HAVE to trust other peoples advice and opinions as mine are too conflickted (sp) with OCD.
So I really need to ask the following questions-

1 ) would you still move there not knowing where the poison was?
2) would you search the garden for any sign of poison?
3) would you worry about going in the garden, doing some gardening, getting covered in soil then going back in the house?
4) would you worry if your child rolled around all over the grass and then came back in the house and sat on the sofa etc?

I know that if I don't follow through with this house I would be letting the OCD rule me again and rob me of something we so desperately want (a family home) but I am scared that I wont be able to cope once moved in and that would present a HUGE problem.
I dont want my babies to die :cry:

1) yes
2) no. It will probably have dissolved now, and will be in the areas where slugs would damage leafy plants, not on the lawn.
3) no. Even if I got absolutely covered in soil I'd just shake it off my clothes outside and then wash my hands normally
4) no, the slug pellets won't be on the lawn anyway.

This was in the kitchen? To me that suggests it was for indoor use...personally I would keep outdoor things in outdoor storage. And generally unless there is a veggie patch, slugs and snails in a garden isn't a problem...it's where they are supposed to be. I would only bother with something like that inside my house. It's usually bright coloured too so you would be able to see it.
It is absolutely not a reason to abandon your house.
Also, what Zoobec said.

I wouldn't give it much thought, I would have a search about when we moved in to see if I can see any. Maybe keep the buns contained for a bit until you're sure there is none anywhere, like pp said it will have all gone by the time you move in anyway, I would imagine.
Don't be put off your dream home, everything will be fine xx

This was in the kitchen? To me that suggests it was for indoor use...personally I would keep outdoor things in outdoor storage. And generally unless there is a veggie patch, slugs and snails in a garden isn't a problem...it's where they are supposed to be. I would only bother with something like that inside my house. It's usually bright coloured too so you would be able to see it.
It is absolutely not a reason to abandon your house.
Also, what Zoobec said.

Inside?? People use slug pellets in gardens dont they I dont think I have ever found someone use them inside their house.

There is a veg patch and we were going to use it for Jack to plant bits for the bunnies.

Would you not move into somewhere that had used poison?

1 ) would you still move there not knowing where the poison was? YES
2) would you search the garden for any sign of poison? Not properly, but I would have a glance about to check there aren't any in any areas that I would use for the run (although I think yours are house buns so this probably doesn't apply). We have had enough rain in the last few weeks to make the pellets pretty useless anyway, plus they are brightly coloured so should be easy to spot.
3) would you worry about going in the garden, doing some gardening, getting covered in soil then going back in the house? Nope. Not a bit.
4) would you worry if your child rolled around all over the grass and then came back in the house and sat on the sofa etc? I wouldn't worry about the bunnies, no. But I would make sure my child was either supervised for the first month or so or knew not to eat the slug pellets, if there were any in the garden, because I don't think it would do them any good.

Also, they've probably only been used on the veggie patch, there's no reason to use them elsewhere, so it's just a case of not letting the bunnies into the veggie patch - which you wouldn't do anyway.

Last edited:
Inside?? People use slug pellets in gardens dont they I dont think I have ever found someone use them inside their house.

There is a veg patch and we were going to use it for Jack to plant bits for the bunnies.

Would you not move into somewhere that had used poison?

I've only ever used it inside, when we had a slug infestation in our kitchen.

Yes, I would move somewhere that had used poison. It's not a good enough reason not to live somewhere. It's going to be near impossible to find a house that has never ever had any sort of poison or harmful chemical in it.
So follow your dream! You can still take precautions, maybe scooshing the patch with lots of water. Visual checking - the pellets I have used were bright blue.

Yes it's fine :)

If the pellets have broken down enough you can't see them then it's fine to roll around in the mud and then roll around inside - if you particularly feel like it. It won't transfer anything. The pellets have pretty short lives once they get washed in by the rain.

Keep in mind the slug pellets have most likely been used in the veg plot, in amongst and touching the plants the previous occupant was growing and eating - that should give you an idea of how safe they are. As long as you don't eat the pellets themselves they are fine.

I would be fine to move in too. How very exciting to have found your dream house. I hope you will all be very happy there. :wave:

off subject a bit here, but have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy for your OCD? I have ocd, and it has helped... I would ask your doctor to see if there is a counsellor who they can refer you to, its worth a go :wave:

im sure your rabbits will be fine in your new home, exciting!

The estate agents spoke to the landlord and has been toldthat they havent used the pellets for years. We did still have a look in the garden and found some blue and green things in a flower bed, Dan picked them up and had a look and said they were stones.

they would have to eat rather a lot of them to be sick let alone die. so if you can't find them haveing a look arround then there are not enough there to pose any danger. and they taste nasty to animals anyway as are designed for slugs . a good downpour of rain and 99% will be gone ofter first rainfall . after a couple of weeks thats it no more about.

I'm pleased you have found your house.
You know yourself that it doesn't matter how much reassurance you get from people, it makes no difference to how you see things and you have to be able to make these decisions for yourself. Sorry, but the more people reassure you, the more it fuels your OCD.

Back