• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

charlie has the start of sore hocks

lucy24

Mama Doe
he was laying stretched out yesterday and i noticed a round red bump on his hock where the furr has worn away. i know he needs his claws clipping which i will get done next week at the vet and i have read up as much as i can on suitable flooring. he and honey mainly live downstairs on hard floors or on carpet. either aren't ideal and their isnt a lot of room for various blankets etc.. and with blankets they just end up weeing on them.

although i really dont want them outside, would he be better off outside? i really want the best for him.:?

if i let them in my room again, i could do something with the floor but what?

I'm always worried about sore hocks with having indoor buns. I'd recommend cotton basth mats and pieces of vet bed but you'd have to be prepared for lots of washing if you find rugs usually get peed on. Grass mats can help and I've bought a few different ones from the hay experts in the past. I think claw clipping and a variety of surfaces are the way to go. Hope it doesn't get any worse.

Bunny needs to be on a surface where his feet can sink in - I find the best set up is vetbed covered with a thick layer of straw and then a layer of hay on top of that. Carpets are horrid for bunnies feet, as they do not allow the feet to sink in like they would naturally in the wild. It is important to keep nails short as well. I would try and set something up whereby he is on a softer, more natural surface.

I was litrally about the start the exact same thread as u!!!
shooter just developed one on each foot at the bottom

i finished cutting his nails but he is hoping fine

Last edited:
Back