• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alberts seems intermittently unstable and is dragging his back legs

weeble

As title, I have noticed him seem a bit wobbly once or twice over the last few weeks but it's usually been when he has just got up so thought it might be just stiffness from lying down but this afternoon he was really leaning to one side and seemed to be dragging his back end. It only lasted for about three or four hops and then he was fine again

I have given him some metacam and am going to nip out now and get some panacur to start that. I will of course call the vets tomorrow and get an appointment but just wondered if anyone had any advice as to what it could be before then? My first thoughts were EC hence the panacur?

I think you have covered what I was going to say re metacam in case inflammation but best to get him checked out. My vets are open on bank hols if you need it in future. Hope the meds help x

Sending vibes for Albert. I hope the meds can tide him over till he can be seen. Why does stuff like this always happen on a holiday/weekend? :( xxxxxxxx

Thanks guys he seems ok most of the time it's worse when he has been still or lying down for long periods. I feel like he has slight muscle wastage but that could be me seeing things that aren't there.

Thanks Sandra the vets are open for emergencies if needed but it's not that bad luckily

A month long course of pancur (deep clean everything at the end) certainly wouldn't hurt.

How old is he? Getting stiff can be age related.

Sounds a lot more like arthritis than EC related issues to me

Daily Metacam, acupuncture and massage could be helpful.

I would keep a good check on his hocks too as sore hocks can develop as a result of hind leg weakness issues, especially in Rexes xx

Sounds a lot more like arthritis than EC related issues to me

Daily Metacam, acupuncture and massage could be helpful.

I would keep a good check on his hocks too as sore hocks can develop as a result of hind leg weakness issues, especially in Rexes xx

Thanks Jane, he does have slightly sore hocks but he has done for the past 3-4 years and they have got to the epoint where the skin hs toughened up a bit now so they dont generally cause him problems. Will keep his meds topped up and see what the vets have to say

Back