• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

FINDING A FRIEND FOR MARLEY, (he may of been exposed to ec but shows no signs)

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi,Has been a while since my last post
just wanted to get some advice, Marley my harlequin is now a lonesome boy, having lost his friend to ec last year, i really want to bond him with another rabbit, the vet advises we do a blood test to see if he has been exposed to ec as he has no signs of the disease at all, it's very expensive, so would like some advice from all of you, do i really need to get him tested before finding him a friend??????

Hi,Has been a while since my last post
just wanted to get some advice, Marley my harlequin is now a lonesome boy, having lost his friend to ec last year, i really want to bond him with another rabbit, the vet advises we do a blood test to see if he has been exposed to ec as he has no signs of the disease at all, it's very expensive, so would like some advice from all of you, do i really need to get him tested before finding him a friend??????

Crikey - that's a hard one.

How much are the tests? Maybe you need to weigh it up against the cost of getting EC sorted out and the affect it could have on your bun and possible new bun X

Many rabbits carry EC but never show any symptoms. The female you get might carry it, you just don't know. I think the Vet just wants your money tbh.

i was thinking the exact same thing, how would i know if a new bun hasn't also been exposed to ec, the cost of the test is approx £75,

:wave:

I guess that scientifically the only way to know is the test. However, I have no experience of EC and would suggest that you contact a rescue and ask their advice. If they say that the test is not necessary, then the saving would cover the cost of the adoption fee. ;)

Whereabouts are you based? I see you are in Ipswich. I'm afraid I don't know the area.

Is your bun neutered?

Perhaps you can draft a notice for Rabbits in Need?

:wave:

I guess that scientifically the only way to know is the test. However, I have no experience of EC and would suggest that you contact a rescue and ask their advice. If they say that the test is not necessary, then the saving would cover the cost of the adoption fee. ;)

Whereabouts are you based? I see you are in Ipswich. I'm afraid I don't know the area.

Is your bun neutered?

Perhaps you can draft a notice for Rabbits in Need?

yes I am in Ipswich, and yes my rabbit is neutered

if your rabbit is fit and well ... and has had a preventative course of pancur (minimum 28 days ) I don't see the need for tests .

most rabbits carry ec anyhow . It only causes problems in a few and is only a problem when active .

I don't think there is much point in the test, the RWA did a study and I think they found something like 50% of rabbits had been exposed so the odds are quite high any bun you adopt may have been too.

If it worries you, then you could give both bunnies a month long course of pancur post bonding.

I would give both bunnies a long course of Panacur. My vet advises at least 6 weeks ...
Then I wouldn't worry at all :D

Back