• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Hiya,
Just a quickie about worming - Ferg definitely has them and I am nearly certain he is going to need worming soon. I've found a couple of dead ones on his poo in the last week so I'm planning on getting some Panacur rabbit for him tomorrow.
My vet (Ashleigh) recommends doing a faecal test before they give panacur out, but I am broke this month and was wondering whether people worm without the test? Would you recommend panacur for worming? And where is best to get it from (online is so much cheaper!)

If need be I'll do the faecal test at the vets ASAP but would like some advice on whether it's worth doing :)
Thanks!
Holly and Ferg

If they are pinworms these are no problem so I believe. Maybe that is why the Vet wanted to do a test first. Someone else may have some better advice :)

Thanks! I don't normally worry about worms too much just noticed I've found a few I'm a short space of time.
I'll give the vet a ring tomorrow and hope for no consult fee if I'm doing a test :)

Hi,
If the worms you are referring to are little white pin/thread worm looking worms there really is no need to do a test first. I'm a vet nurse are it is quite uncommon to see worms in rabbits (although one I rescued from pts last week has them!) and I am currently doing 9 days pans it rabbit. It is licenced for use and will do the job. If the vets push for a test or says the rabbit needs to be seen, pop to pets at home and buy a syringe yourself. The wormer is not prescription only and you can just buy over the counter so save yourself the money and do that! Plus, waiting for test results will waste time.
Good luck!

PS
I was seeing loads of wiggling worms in my rescued bun and after only a day or so I stopped seeing them! Be sure to do a whole 9 days though x

Hi,
If the worms you are referring to are little white pin/thread worm looking worms there really is no need to do a test first. I'm a vet nurse are it is quite uncommon to see worms in rabbits (although one I rescued from pts last week has them!) and I am currently doing 9 days pans it rabbit. It is licenced for use and will do the job. If the vets push for a test or says the rabbit needs to be seen, pop to pets at home and buy a syringe yourself. The wormer is not prescription only and you can just buy over the counter so save yourself the money and do that! Plus, waiting for test results will waste time.
Good luck!

PS
I was seeing loads of wiggling worms in my rescued bun and after only a day or so I stopped seeing them! Be sure to do a whole 9 days though x

Thanks for the info! I bought some panacur last night so it should be here in the next couple of days! :)

Back