• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur - can someone help with dose in ml???

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We are giving Crab Apple a course of Panacur as we suspect EC.

However he is so tiddly that he weighs only 1.3 kg.

That means he should get half a 'syringe gradation' in the panacur syringe .

This is so ridiculously small a 'push' on the panacur syringe that its almost impossible to give . .

so I want to put the correct amount in a 1ml syringe and give it that way but I cant work out what to give as the Panacur unfo is in gms not mls!!!

Can someone help please!!!

The 5g syringe is 18.75% formula fenbendazole

I think from counting that there are 20 gradations on the marked special panacur syringe which suggests that each gradation' is 0.25gms

A gradation contains enough for a 2.5k bun at 20mg per kg.

Crab Apple needs half of that as he is 1.3kg so he needs 0.125 gms -

my question is . . . does that equate to 0.125mls in a ml syringe??

I have tried expressing a single gradation into a ml syringe and get quite alarmingly varying amounts despite being very very careful - anything between 0.4mls and 0.25 mls!!!!!! - =0.25 might make sense for a gradation if its equal to the 0.25gms.

anyone?????????

(I did think of swapping to Lapizole but it will take until the end of the week to get it and he had an EC acute attack so really needs it now and I have panacur here to hand).

My understanding was that it was one grafuation for buns under 2.5kg and two graduations for buns over 2.5kg. Marbles is just over 2.5 and had two graduations. So that would suggest that he should be ok having a whole graduation even though he is very small? However, hoping someone else can confirm or disconfirm. Hope he's ok.

I can't help with the calculations but I know that there are 18 graduations in a syringe, although that doesn't help much. :lol::lol: If it helps any though, each graduation on the syringe treats a bunny up to 2.5kg - so a 1.3kg bunny would still have one graduation, just as a 2.5kg bunny would.

My understanding was that it was one grafuation for buns under 2.5kg and two graduations for buns over 2.5kg. Marbles is just over 2.5 and had two graduations. So that would suggest that he should be ok having a whole graduation even though he is very small? However, hoping someone else can confirm or disconfirm. Hope he's ok.

Your post wasn't there when I replied but I just said the same. :thumb:

last time I dosed a very small bunny I recall the vet saying that they should have half a gradation . . .

I mean its a big difference 1.25kg bun to 2.5 kg. Especially as the leaflet gives the dosage as 20mg PER KG.

Crab Apple should only be getting about 24mgs whereas a 2.5kg bunny should be getting 50 mgs!!!

last time I dosed a very small bunny I recall the vet saying that they should have half a gradation . . .

I mean its a big difference 1.25kg bun to 2.5 kg. Especially as the leaflet gives the dosage as 20mg PER KG.

Crab Apple should only be getting about 24mgs whereas a 2.5kg bunny should be getting 50 mgs!!!

I guess by the same token though, a bun of 2.6kg would get the same dosage as a 5kg bun. Can you phone your vet to get an equivalent ml dosage? Other than that I don't really know what to suggest other than just trying to do half a graduation until you can get hold of a liquid version?

You're supposed to give a whole graduation for any rabbit that weights less than 2.5kg. It's completely safe.

I recall being told the same once (but the vet wasn't very good on reflection so I wouldn't trust what I was told that time :oops::lol:) but every other vet I've seen since has said one graduation, even for Bubbles who was about the same size as Crab Apple.

It says on the datasheet though that it's one graduation per 2.5kg of bunny - so one graduation for bunnies up to 2.5kg, 2 for bunnies up to 5kg and so on - so the dosage probably doesn't need to be quite so 'accurate' as with a lot of other meds.

I was told to give comet 1 graduatution (He's a similar weight) but I always use 10% liquid as its cheaper with multiple buns - though I've always been told 0.2ml per kg - Jane has this changed should I be speaking to my vet about the dosage?

Why not use the Panacur 10% liquid, easier to calculate a weight specific dose and much easier to administer. Also works out as being vastly more economical when treating numerous Rabbits

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html

Dose is 0.4ml/kg

Thank you I will do that when I can get some - but needed to know for that day and today etc until I can get some of the other - we had panacur to hand and he had acute EC attack. Dont forget we now live in the middle of nowhere so have to factor in delivery times!!!

Back