• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny, stop sleeping in your litterbox!

My beloved neutered flemish giant "James Bunny" has recently been allowed to run around in the living-room after successfully running around in my bedroom a few hours every day for some weeks (He has a 2 x 5 meter long enclosure he lives in the rest of the time)

I moved his litterbox and basket/sleeping box into the living-room and everything is going splendidly - he only litters in the litterbox and is being a perfect gentleman...

The only problem is that he now sleeps almost exclusively in his litterbox!
He does nap in it from time to time when he is in my room, but in the livingroom he sleeps there 85% of the time.
I have tried switching the boxes locations, but he seeks out the litterbox and sleeps there no matter where I put it.

I do not mind it much, but the rest of the family thinks it is utterly disgusting, even if I clean it twice a day.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or know how to fix it?

Mine do this. They are outdoor buns who have a cosy private sleeping area with lots of straw etc but sometimes they choose to snooze in the poop box :lol: not sure what you can do about it really - just a bunny quirk I think :lol:

James Bunny! i love his name. he sounds like a solicitor. i have Matthew Rabbit, Tabitha Rabbit, Charlie Rabbit ( more properly Charlemagne or Charles) and Cecile BunBun. :D

i've never known a bunny not sleep in the litter tray, by the way. mine don't do it now, but they all did it when younger. another disturbing trick is peeing on the new hay. why, buns? you know you're going to have to eat from it. don't you mind if its your own urine? is it just to keep everyone else off?

Last edited:
You could always provide two or three of them so that they would be cleaner. Some rabbits have very cute beds (cat beds for example) you could try one of them perhaps. Its not at all unusual though.

Back