• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbits

J400cbs

New Kit
Hi all

I bought my children a couple of rabbits last august from pets at home. As they were young we've kept them indoors over the winter. I'm wondering when to introduce them to there new home in the garden.

I've noughts a two tier hutch for them which I'm going to extend with an additional run to give them more freedom.

Is it still a bit early in the year to put them outside or will it be ok providing I give them plenty if additional straw for bedding and warmth?

Thanks

Have they been neutered yet? I wouldn't put outside until towards end of April at the earliest. If they haven't been neutered yet, it would be ideal to do it now so they can be inside to recuperate.

Have they been neutered yet? I wouldn't put outside until towards end of April at the earliest. If they haven't been neutered yet, it would be ideal to do it now so they can be inside to recuperate.

What benefits will getting them nested have? I'm not upto speed really with it all. They have been to vets and been checked out and are in good health. They are both female and live well together.

Thanks

Unfortunately female rabbits are generally short lived if not spayed. I think it's as high as an 80% chance of them getting some kind of uterine/ ovarian related cancer by the age if 3/4 years if they are not spayed I'm afraid :(

Unfortunately female rabbits are generally short lived if not spayed. I think it's as high as an 80% chance of them getting some kind of uterine/ ovarian related cancer by the age if 3/4 years if they are not spayed I'm afraid :(

This.
Also, they will start to fight as their hormones kick in. Very difficult to keep un-spayed females together.
Have they had their combined vaccination?

Agree with others that its best to wait til the end of April at the earliest to put them out, although it feels warm now it could still switch! Also I definitely wouldn't put them out before being vaccinated, although indoor rabbits do need this too. Would love to see some photos of your pair!

Back