• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alternatives to plastic buster collars?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I mean these:
Collar_Kruuse_Buster_Clic_Plastic_Dog.jpg

Need one asap but want to know what the best kind is for a bunny. I know none are ideal :(

Ive seen people use like a body sock to stop bun chewing wounds instead of a collar. Sorry im not much help but didn't want to read and run

I never used one for Harry who had his hind leg amputated. Is the Rabbit with you now ?

No he's at the vets I work at. He chewed his stitches last night so currently has a plastic one on but I feel that he's struggling with it

I posted the same question a few weeks ago and the only thing I came across was fabric ones or inflatable ones which would probably just be chewed straight through. Baby's been wearing one for weeks now, I felt awful for her at first but she's learned to eat with it absolutely fine and she doesn't even move her head now when I go to put it on her. What I would do though is cut a big semicircle out where her ears go so they're not being pressed forward by the cone, although you'll have to find a way to stop the cone twisting around, I've had to use a harness alongside the bandage thing the vet gave me. Oh and get a nail file to the edges so it's nice and smooth :)

I posted the same question a few weeks ago and the only thing I came across was fabric ones or inflatable ones which would probably just be chewed straight through. Baby's been wearing one for weeks now, I felt awful for her at first but she's learned to eat with it absolutely fine and she doesn't even move her head now when I go to put it on her. What I would do though is cut a big semicircle out where her ears go so they're not being pressed forward by the cone, although you'll have to find a way to stop the cone twisting around, I've had to use a harness alongside the bandage thing the vet gave me. Oh and get a nail file to the edges so it's nice and smooth :)

Thank you, he looks SO depressed and isn't drinking without me syringing it to him. So you mean cut a semi circle at the back? I can try that tomorrow. Sorry what do you mean by a harness?

Thank you x

Lola got put in one of those after her spay.. We took it off but I read somewhere that if you cut them down a bit they are easier for the rabbit to carry on with normal activities but not be able to get to stomach/legs.

Lola got put in one of those after her spay.. We took it off but I read somewhere that if you cut them down a bit they are easier for the rabbit to carry on with normal activities but not be able to get to stomach/legs.

Thank you x

In case anyone's wondering it isn't Pippin or Luna, he's a new rabbit I've taken on that was going to be euthanised. Will tell you his story when he's slightly more recovered.

photo_zps21332bc2.jpg

Frank xx

Last edited:
Thank you, he looks SO depressed and isn't drinking without me syringing it to him. So you mean cut a semi circle at the back? I can try that tomorrow. Sorry what do you mean by a harness?

Thank you x

Baby didn't touch her water bottle for two days after she started with the collar either but she's fine with it now. And yep just cut back as far as you can without cutting the fastener bits, do you want me to try get a picture of Baby's later? And just a rabbit harness, it's like a collar attached to a much larger collar that goes around the stomach. It stops the cone twisting around as much and it makes it a lot more secure, I tie the soft bandage thing securely around her neck and then have the harness looped through the cone too but it's not on quite as tight. If she just had the bandage on by itself she'd probably end up untying it when she scratches herself with her back legs although I guess that's not really a worry with your bun :oops:

Oh and also what size is it? Mine's the 7.5 one I think, a cat one but it doesn't have as many fastening things as the one on your picture. But it's just the perfect size for her, her mouth reaches the end of it so she can eat fine but wouldn't be able to get to her tail

Baby didn't touch her water bottle for two days after she started with the collar either but she's fine with it now. And yep just cut back as far as you can without cutting the fastener bits, do you want me to try get a picture of Baby's later? And just a rabbit harness, it's like a collar attached to a much larger collar that goes around the stomach. It stops the cone twisting around as much and it makes it a lot more secure, I tie the soft bandage thing securely around her neck and then have the harness looped through the cone too but it's not on quite as tight. If she just had the bandage on by itself she'd probably end up untying it when she scratches herself with her back legs although I guess that's not really a worry with your bun :oops:

Oh and also what size is it? Mine's the 7.5 one I think, a cat one but it doesn't have as many fastening things as the one on your picture. But it's just the perfect size for her, her mouth reaches the end of it so she can eat fine but wouldn't be able to get to her tail

If you could get a photo of the collar that'd be great. Can't remember what size it is but will look tomorrow. The one in that photo isn't mine, just an example :) Thank you

If you could get a photo of the collar that'd be great. Can't remember what size it is but will look tomorrow. The one in that photo isn't mine, just an example :) Thank you

No problem I'll get one later. Might be worth putting plasters around the bit closest to the ears too, Baby's were starting to rub against the edge of the plastic before I cut it

No problem I'll get one later. Might be worth putting plasters around the bit closest to the ears too, Baby's were starting to rub against the edge of the plastic before I cut it

Thanks so much for the advice. Put my mind at rest slightly :)

Thanks so much for the advice. Put my mind at rest slightly :)

Aw good :) She will hopefully get used to it pretty quickly. I give Baby little supervised breaks from it to clean herself, I was putting her out in the run too but really make sure your bun is supervised at ALL times. Because Baby hadn't gone near her tail at all in two weeks when out on the grass and it was almost fully healed I nipped out for a few minutes thinking everything would be fine, came back and she'd started to bite it again :( So who knows how long she'll have to wear it for now

Back