• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can types of hay cause stasis?

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi

A couple of weeks ago, one of my buns (who is stasis prone) had an episode and is still being treated. I have been looking at everything to do with pellets, etc. However, there was a type of timothy hay I've got (which is very stalky), which she had last time the had a stasis episode. I gave her some last night again (for the first time since the last one) and she is off again this morning - despite still being on Zantac and Emeprid,

Can types of hay - even Timothy - set off a sensitive bun?:?

I think it's the scenario which I had. When I tried to introduce Doughnut to a different greener hay with rose petals, Mark said it may have had different bacteria in it to which her gut was used to, so they were fighting each other and causing gas.

She loves yellow stalky hay but your rabbit's gut may work better on the one he's used to. I am just keeping Doughnut's hay the same now and not risking changing it! I don't think it was because it was stalky your little one was ill it was because it was different or it may just be a coincidence. I've found out rabbits are very complicated.

I think it's the scenario which I had. When I tried to introduce Doughnut to a different greener hay with rose petals, Mark said it may have had different bacteria in it to which her gut was used to, so they were fighting each other and causing gas.

She loves yellow stalky hay but your rabbit's gut may work better on the one he's used to. I am just keeping Doughnut's hay the same now and not risking changing it! I don't think it was because it was stalky your little one was ill it was because it was different or it may just be a coincidence. I've found out rabbits are very complicated.

I think you're right - I remembered you saying that you were keeping Doughnut on the same hay. It's funny isn't it, you think that hay is the best thing and the more the better, but if they're sensitive, I guess it's possible?!

Hay is cut grass and depending on the variety and when it was cut it can vary quite a bit in nutritional content. Even hay cut from the same field can vary depending on the year (how good the summer was) and when it was cut (early when it's leafy v. late when it's got flowers/stalks).

There is less variation in hay than pellets and less that should cause upset, which is why you don't generally bother introducing hay gradually. If you've got a super sensitive bunny it may help to mix bags gradually like you do when swapping pellet brands.

Hay is cut grass and depending on the variety and when it was cut it can vary quite a bit in nutritional content. Even hay cut from the same field can vary depending on the year (how good the summer was) and when it was cut (early when it's leafy v. late when it's got flowers/stalks).

There is less variation in hay than pellets and less that should cause upset, which is why you don't generally bother introducing hay gradually. If you've got a super sensitive bunny it may help to mix bags gradually like you do when swapping pellet brands.

She is super sensitive it seems - I think I will stick to what they know and if I do introduce new ones, I'll mix as you say. I really didn't think hay would be a problem!

Back