• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best time to vaccinate? Separate or Combined vaccine?

ripply

Young Bun
My bunny had already had his vaccinations as a baby when I got him last summer. I know they're given once a year but I've read that myxomitosis is more common when the young wild rabbits are about and I often see them from April onwards. So I was thinking of getting my bunny vaccinated in March to give him a few weeks to build up more immunity. Is this a good idea or is it harmful to vaccinate a few months early? Also, I like the idea of the combined vaccine as he'll only need one needle stick so it won't upset him so much but his vaccines as a baby were done separately. Is there any problem with changing now?

My bunny had already had his vaccinations as a baby when I got him last summer. I know they're given once a year but I've read that myxomitosis is more common when the young wild rabbits are about and I often see them from April onwards. So I was thinking of getting my bunny vaccinated in March to give him a few weeks to build up more immunity. Is this a good idea or is it harmful to vaccinate a few months early? Also, I like the idea of the combined vaccine as he'll only need one needle stick so it won't upset him so much but his vaccines as a baby were done separately. Is there any problem with changing now?

If he had the single vaccines in the summer, the myxo part would be given every 6 months, and the VHD every year.

He will be overdue his myxo vaccine now, so I wouldn't delay taking him to the vet. They can advise whether you should get the single myxo (if they still have it), and change to the combined vaccination in 6 months time :wave:

I would personally deffo go for the combined vaccine. I used to get mine done VHD & Myxi seeparate ones every 6 months, so more than ok to just go with the combi one now. :)

i would definitely vaccinate with the combo now, my vet told me it's not harmful to vaccinate a little early. she also actually said that the combined is more effective against myxo (she did explain why but it escapes me now!)

Back