• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new rabbit scrabbling at my daughter

lorelei

New Kit
hey, we just got a baby rabbit (12 weeks ish). hes been super well behaved, quite likes to be cuddled and stuff and we've had no problems with biting or anything, he seems really happy. however he keeps scrabbling at my daughter. he doesn't do this to anyone else and he doesn't seem to be doing it aggressively, it just like he's trying to get to something. its not even like he only does it when she strokes him. she can be sitting on the floor ignoring him and he will come and jump on her lap and start scrabbling. why is he doing this??? is it something about her smell? has anyone ever experienced this before? iv got my daughter to squeak every time he does it (which may or may not be working) but im more concerned that he's picking something up that's wrong with her (like dogs pick up cancer sometimes). am i being paranoid?

Rabbits do dig for attention or to get you to do what they want. Sometimes it means "move out my way" or "why aren't you stroking my ears". I would think your rabbit is just relating to your daughter in a different way to, he might think she's lower in the pecking order or just more likely to be the one to offer treats and strokes.

You're right to discourage him, he's communicating but needs to know that's not the right way to do it. Don't reward the behaviour, squeaking and/or ignoring him is the best way to deal. You might need to give your daughter something eg a thick towel she can pop over her lap so she can ignore him without it hurting.

Everything tasmin said and definitely coming down to his level and letting him hop around you ie sitting on the floor with him giving him lots of strokes my buns love their head down to near their nose stoked :)

You may find if hes not neutered that its hormonal behavior.
my bunny Freddie started off scabbling at my feet then he moved on to flicking wee on me when he started spraying.
boys can be neutered from 12 weeks of age, so might be worth popping to a vet :)

thankyou for all your help guys. Our rabbit is now about 4 and a half months, we got him neutered and did lot of squeaking at him and he's now settled down loads and never scrabbles at her anymore. xx

Back