• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have two rabbits who are driving me crazy!

FrenchBunny

Young Bun
I love them, by I may as well have children the amount I have to watch them around the house.

They are constantly chewing my carpets, the rug, the wicker baskets and the wallpaper, and it's driving me mad :evil:

What can I do to stop them? I KNOW rabbits chew and are inquisitive etc, but does anyone actually have any tips or ideas to stop them? They are really damaging my apartment and more than anything I'm worried about their digestive systems.

They are fed an all in one pellet, ad-lib hay and veggies. They have wood chews in their cage. I'm not sure what else to give them to occupy them. :cry:

Do they have toys? Maybe a puzzle ball?

You can put things over the carpet, maybe some cardboard (but make sure they don't eat too much of it) or maybe tiles to stop them chewing those parts. Wallpaper is bunny heaven, there's not much you can do to stop them, but you can put up things to stop them getting to the walls. People use cage panels to block off areas. It won't looks pretty, but it'll stop them chewing the wall/wallpaper.

Usually bunnies do this when they are bored. It is very natural for them to dig and chew, so make sure they have tons of things to occupy them.

Hello :wave:

I make digging boxes for my buns, and they luuuurve these boxes.

I use two cardboard boxes, one bigger and one as smaller. I cut out a door and two large windows on the larger box, and fill it with paper (newspaper is good). I then cut two doors in the smaller box (one door at either end), creating a "tunnel". I attach one side to the door in the bigger box, and slot a bendy tunnel in to the other door of the smaller box and voila! The buns have a tunnel to crawl thru before getting to all the paper (ripping and shredding is so much fun!) before hopping out thru the end window, and then back in again! Keeps them entertained for hours! :thumb: (you could hide a few treats in there too).

Hello :wave:

I make digging boxes for my buns, and they luuuurve these boxes.

I use two cardboard boxes, one bigger and one as smaller. I cut out a door and two large windows on the larger box, and fill it with paper (newspaper is good). I then cut two doors in the smaller box (one door at either end), creating a "tunnel". I attach one side to the door in the bigger box, and slot a bendy tunnel in to the other door of the smaller box and voila! The buns have a tunnel to crawl thru before getting to all the paper (ripping and shredding is so much fun!) before hopping out thru the end window, and then back in again! Keeps them entertained for hours! :thumb: (you could hide a few treats in there too).

Any chance you could post some pics of this? Sounds amazing! :wave:

Thanks for the replies. I'd also like to see some pics of your idea Beau Belle.

At the moment it's a vicious cycle - I don't want to let them out because they chew, but they chew because they're bored!

Think I might go to PAH on my lunch and stock up on some toys and fun things for them to do and nibble on. Has any one tried using one of those treat ball things for dogs? The things that you stuff with treats and they have to roll around to get them out? Thought about getting one of those but I have a feeling they just wouldn't even try!

Thanks for the replies. I'd also like to see some pics of your idea Beau Belle.

At the moment it's a vicious cycle - I don't want to let them out because they chew, but they chew because they're bored!

Think I might go to PAH on my lunch and stock up on some toys and fun things for them to do and nibble on. Has any one tried using one of those treat ball things for dogs? The things that you stuff with treats and they have to roll around to get them out? Thought about getting one of those but I have a feeling they just wouldn't even try!

I've got a treat ball (I think it was a rabbit one from Amazon). I put bits of celery in it originally and they couldn't care less. Then I put small bits of pellets in and they loved it. They spent a good hour playing with it Saturday morning. They probably would have gone longer but I didn't want to give them more pellets than they normally have hand fed.

I've got a treat ball (I think it was a rabbit one from Amazon). I put bits of celery in it originally and they couldn't care less. Then I put small bits of pellets in and they loved it. They spent a good hour playing with it Saturday morning. They probably would have gone longer but I didn't want to give them more pellets than they normally have hand fed.

I might get one of those then and chop up bits of carrot as that seems to be their favourite thing!

I love them, by I may as well have children the amount I have to watch them around the house.

They are constantly chewing my carpets, the rug, the wicker baskets and the wallpaper, and it's driving me mad :evil:

What can I do to stop them? I KNOW rabbits chew and are inquisitive etc, but does anyone actually have any tips or ideas to stop them? They are really damaging my apartment and more than anything I'm worried about their digestive systems.

They are fed an all in one pellet, ad-lib hay and veggies. They have wood chews in their cage. I'm not sure what else to give them to occupy them. :cry:

Invest in this: Grannicks Bitter Apple Spray. I tried dozens of bitter apple and anti chew sprays but only this one seems to actually stop my rabbit chewing anything sprayed in this stuff.

I might get one of those then and chop up bits of carrot as that seems to be their favourite thing!

Carrot is a bit sugary. Try just putting their usual pellets in. The carrot also can get stuck and go rotten.

You can buy the treat balls for rabbits at P@H too.

How big is their cage?

How big is their enclosure and how long do you let them out of it? The enclosure really needs to be at least 6 x 4 foot, preferably bigger. If you invest in something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut..._Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item3387fd545d and fill it with toys and tunnels etc it should help. Even if it doesn't stop them being destructive out of the cage, they have enough room in the cage to leave them in there most of the time. You can just let them out for an hour in the evening and then it's much easier to watch them and shoo them away from things they shouldn't be nibbling, which is much more manageable :D

Back