• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Molly lonely?

Jacqueline122

Warren Scout
When I first got my rabbit I was always told not to get two as they will fight, so I never got another one and now five years on I realise the advice given to me is rubbish! Do you think she's lonely? I would of loved to give her a friend but I think it's too late now :(

When I first got my rabbit I was always told not to get two as they will fight, so I never got another one and now five years on I realise the advice given to me is rubbish! Do you think she's lonely? I would of loved to give her a friend but I think it's too late now :(

It's never too late to get a friend. :) Is she spayed?

No she's not spayed, I never really knew the importance of spaying until I joined the forum! I'm a terrible mother, I know :( I was always under the impression that unless they were aggressive or with males then it wasn't important to spay.

She's got a great temperament though, never been aggressive towards my husband and I.

85% of unspayed females can get uterine cancer so its always worthwhile spaying :)

Then you could have her spayed and bond :)

Is she an indoor bun? My Spenser is single, but he lives indoors and there is normally someone in the house so he is never long without attention. Having said this, with hindsight I appreciate that most buns are happier with company of their own kind.

It's not too late. Lots of people here spay rabbits at 5 and older. You could adopt her a boyfriend of a similar age, especially as older buns in rescue can be overlooked.

I would find a decent rabbit savvy vet and have a chat with them about spaying her. At her age, she has a high chance of developing cancer (if she hasn't already) so getting her spayed is the most important thing right now.

At 5, she could easily live another 5 years so it's definitely not too late to get her a friend, but she does need spaying first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah she is indoor and pretty much always with me, she's only in her cage to sleep or do the toilet. I heard about a rabbit savvy vet about 30 miles from where I live, I must look them up! My vets are ok but I guess they're more used to dogs etc. as they gave me lots of advice about getting my dog, Lelah, done.

Definitely worth going to the rabbit savvy vet and getting her spayed. It's never to late to get her a companion :)

Don't beat yourself up, there's lots of people in your position. The RWAF and other organisations have been pushing information recently to remedy this exact problem - people being misinformed about the best way to look after buns.

As everyone else has said, it's not too late - she could have another 5 or more years left. It's great that she's indoors rather than outdoors. She will probably love some bunny company, but it sounds like she's had plenty of social interaction from you :)

Getting her spayed first is the best course of action. It's great that you've heard of a good bunny vet near you, that's one of the main difficulties sorted! It'd be great to get her done asap - uterine cancer is a massive problem and can come on very suddenly. Often by the time you notice a problem, it's too late - so asap would be best :)

Back