• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back from vet UD coming home :)

weedug

Mama Doe
Checked on Honey early afternoon, and she was just sitting looking sad. Felt cold when I picked her up.

Took her straight to the vet. At least this time her blood glucose was ok (10.4), so hopefully no blockage this time. Only thing vet could find, apart from a low temperature, was what he thinks might be fluid on one of her lungs (didn't sound the same as the other side, but no x-ray done at this point).

She had a metacam injection, emeprid and fluids injected under the skin. She is home now, but I was told that if she hadn't picked up within 2 hours, I was to phone to get her into the overnight vet. So far there is no improvement and there is about 40 minutes to go.

Is there anything that is standing out to anyone?

Last edited:
What is her respiratory rate/effort like ?

Has she poo'd ?

Do you have her on a heat pad ?

Her breathing is much faster than usual, but she isn't mouth breathing nor does she appear to be struggling.

She has passed 2 poos since I noticed she was unwell.

She has a heat pad, which I got for her as soon as I noticed she wasn't well. I don't know how much she is using it though.

She was also given a course of Septrin.

She is just sitting around, tummy pressing occasionally, breathing is maybe slightly slower than earlier.

Honey is now at the vet for the night. They are going to put her on zantac as well, and keep her on a drip.

Her tummy felt worse than earlier, so they are going to do some blood glucose tests too, just to check since she had a blockage last year.

I had to give her the Septrin before she went in, and her breathing went really bad, really fast and she was visibly moving.

I'm really worried about her :(

Sending ((((vibes)))) for Honey.xxx

And lots of hugs for you, I know you must be so very worried for her. Thinking of you and Honey.xx

I lost little Blossom to a blockage about 6 months ago, so am terrified this will all turn out the same :(.

I lost little Blossom to a blockage about 6 months ago, so am terrified this will all turn out the same :(.

It's really hard to face something and not compare it to a previous experience... Especially if it was something so devastating to you. Hold on in there - I hope there is a positive update soon.xx lots of love and ((((vibes)))) xx

Vet has just phoned. Honey has been given a stronger pain killer. Her blood glucose is now 15, but the vet thinks that is the stasis rather than a blockage.

My Harvey ended up in the emergency vet with stasis the other night and is only just getting over it so I know how terrified you must be!

Sending lots of love and vibes to Honey, please keep us updated!:love:

Back