• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Levi 'chubby chops' Lionlop isn't eating :( U/D pics added post 15

Ailstar

Mama Doe
Went to give Levi and Daisy their breakfast this morning and Levi isn't eating. He's sat downstairs in his hutch, just hunched with his eyes closed and very quiet. I tried hand feeding him pretty much every tasty nom I have and he will sniff them but makes no move to eat :( I have no idea if he has been poo-ing overnight as today is clean out day and with daisy in there as well I don't have a clue whose poo is whose and when they are from. I don't know whether to bring him in and keep an eye on him for an hour to see if he improves or just to take him to the vet. I just don't want to get there for them to tell me I've overreacted. Poor little Pook. I'm worried, he's definitely not himself!

Last edited:
I don't think they will ever tell you you've overreacted if your bun isn't eating. I would call the vet now :thumb:

My little bunny always does this when her teeth play up, she often hides as well.
Hope he's okay and better soon. Xx

I got in to see the vet this morning and she had a good feel of his tummy, had a look at his teeth (he didn't think much of the strange lady sticking the thing in his mouth), looked at his ears, his legs, his tummy again and said she couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him, but she gave him a gut stimulant injection and have me metoclop to syringe feed him later if necessary. Obviously when she was out of the room getting the injection he decided to eat two pieces of dried pea, (typical) although he hasn't eaten anything else since. He does look brighter in himself though and I've had a few licks at the vet so I think he's feeling at least a bit better. I'm just going to have to keep an eye on him, I'm hoping he'll pick up later. She did say to bring him back if he hadn't eaten by tomorrow, but given how he looks now I doubt that will be necessary.

Oh I am so sorry to hear he has been unwell. Hope he eats and poos soon and that you dont need to take him to the vets again.

He's just had two mini sweetcorns and some dried pea and is hopping around like normal. Panic over I think! Maybe I overreacted and should have just waited a few hours instead of rushing to the vets!

My Lola did this the day before Christmas eve. I did the same, took her to the vets (I'm so lucky it's literally 7 doors away) she gave her a thorough exam and said everything is fine bring her back if no eating by the evening. Well of course the second we got home she wolfed down her nuggets.. We think it may have been a power struggle when we weren't there though as now she's getting more brave she will try to dominate but my other bun Springfield puts her in her place!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I don't know why Levi does this, he did it once before at the end of November and had picked up by the evening. I'm just pleased he's ok. I think it was maybe a ploy to get me to feed him lots of tasty noms!! :)

I don't know why Levi does this, he did it once before at the end of November and had picked up by the evening. I'm just pleased he's ok. I think it was maybe a ploy to get me to feed him lots of tasty noms!! :)

Haha yes probably! Well at least you did the right thing and he's all sorted now :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I always think it's better safe than sorry as you know your rabbit and if you feel he's not himself, best to go the vets. Especially if he's not eating. Pleased he's brighter now.

Truffle has been known to do this too. Sometimes I think just the movement involved getting her to the vets, in and out of the carrier, the examination etc, gives her a bit of a kick to get things moving again. Or I wonder if she would have just come out of it by herself in a similar timescale anyway. Always better to take them just in case though.

Truffle has been known to do this too. Sometimes I think just the movement involved getting her to the vets, in and out of the carrier, the examination etc, gives her a bit of a kick to get things moving again. Or I wonder if she would have just come out of it by herself in a similar timescale anyway. Always better to take them just in case though.

Tbh it did cross my mind that maybe it was the vet massaging his tummy that made him feel better, it was certainly straight after that that he started to look and act a lot more like his normal self. :)

Just some pics to show the difference:

This morning:
W
image_zpsfd4ecdf5.jpg

image_zps0f40127b.jpg

This evening:
image_zpsd29a1d5f.jpg

image_zpsdad1b88b.jpg

And one of Lady Daisy just because she's lovely :)
image_zpsbc007ad2.jpg

Back