• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mystery cut foot?!

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Just got home from work and Neville appeared fine, had his pellets from my lap and hopped into his tray to munch on hay and herbs.

I went to pet him later on in the hallway and he was incredibly jumpy and seemed to panic. It's then that I noticed a mark on the base of his back foot.

He went and hid in his bed and I've coaxed him out with pellets to get a better look. It definitely looks like blood, right on his heel. I can't see the skin to see how bad it is but it's dry and he doesn't seem to be limping. He's very anti being picked up so I'm not confident to try and examine him, I'm also home alone as oh is away, so no one to restrain.

There's no blood in the house or on his fleece in his pen.

Nothing that could really cut him either, the only thing I can think of is the peddle on our bin broke recently and there is a little bit of sharpish metal there. No blood there though.

Would you book a vets appointment? I'm worried about the stress on him but I kind of want it examined.

Keeping his trays very clean. Should I restrict his space to keep him from irritating it?

It's difficult if you don't know what has cut him. My girls (outdoors) hump/cut each other quite often but I wouldn't take them to the vet for it. I think you need to work out what has caused the cut in case it's dangerous and just keep an eye on the wound if it's not making sure you keep it clean

I managed to have a quick look at Neville's back feet and I think he has sore hocks :( nothing too bad but they look irritated.

His nails could do with clipping and he has been racing up and down the stairs and our carpet isn't the softest.

Off to the vets at 2pm.

Thanks tulsi :)

Nail clip and examination later and he has indeed got sore hocks. Nothing major but preventive baytril and pain relief if I judge he needs it.

Just been shopping for more fleeces, vet bed and an orthopaedic mat for the lounge and a pad for his bed! Nice and cushioned for healing!

No stairs for Neville for a week or so!

Sore hocks are a pain, my Rex Freckle has them, though they've much improved since putting a very thick layer of straw down (literally forcing it flat and adding more), but obviously that's not practical in a house!

Sore hocks are a pain, my Rex Freckle has them, though they've much improved since putting a very thick layer of straw down (literally forcing it flat and adding more), but obviously that's not practical in a house!

Yeah, it's going to be an ongoing thing to manage I guess but I'm hoping that padding his 'sitting' areas will help.

Poor babies x

Back