• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syphilis and penicillin

Jbun

Alpha Buck
I know someone in the UK that has a pet rabbit with syphilis and they just want to make sure that their vet is treating it properly. I'm in the US and we treat it using long acting bicillin, but I believe that this isn't available in the UK, so I was unsure what exactly is the recommended treatment there. I believe depocillin is what is being used for this rabbit, once a week for 3 weeks, but from what I could find out about it, it sounded like it might be a short acting pen, so wouldn't it need to be given everyday for a shorter period?

I know someone in the UK that has a pet rabbit with syphilis and they just want to make sure that their vet is treating it properly. I'm in the US and we treat it using long acting bicillin, but I believe that this isn't available in the UK, so I was unsure what exactly is the recommended treatment there. I believe depocillin is what is being used for this rabbit, once a week for 3 weeks, but from what I could find out about it, it sounded like it might be a short acting pen, so wouldn't it need to be given everyday for a shorter period?

All cases of Treponematosis I have known have been treated with Depocillin once a week for 3 weeks.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Treponema_Inf_Rabbits.htm

So is depocillin supposed to be a long acting penicillin? Isn't it procaine? My understanding is that procaine is the short acting pen that needs to be given daily, and benzathine is the long acting that is given every few days.

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm just a bit confused as all the info that I've read about rabbit syphilis, always mentions the long acting pen being given weekly. I looked at that link as well, and some of the treatment suggestions seemed to be conflicting. Some mention pen g procaine being given weekly, and some daily, so I wasn't quite sure about it.

Back