• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Planning an aviary - any hints and tips?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my run to an aviary so in the planning stage I just wanted to ask for any hints and tips. I'm getting the local shed guy to build it for me, he just converted my gazebo into a summer house for the buns and his work is excellent so I know he will do a good job.
What things do I need to consider?
I'm thinking of those corrugated plastic sheets for the roof but how do u stop the rain from driving in when it comes down sideways! As it seems to be a lot these days!
Thank you x

I'm In a bit of a rush now but this is an old thread I made showing my shed and aviary set up from start to finish..I used corrugated plastic on the roof, the rain doesn't seem to get in too much sideways and if it does the buns don't get wet. My panals were 5x3 if I was to do it again I would get 6x2 so I could stand up in it

Anyway ..my thread....

:wave: As I asked loads of questions when I was trying to decide on my set up I thought this might be helpful to someone of how I did my set up...this is for 4 buns

The space I started with

CIMG2830.jpg

Shed building commences (7 x 5)

CIMG2834.jpg

CIMG2843.jpg

I covered the inside with polysterene sheets for insulation

CIMG2845.jpg

The polysterene sheets are covered wih exterior plywood

CIMG2848.jpg

The lino has gone down
CIMG2850.jpg

The inside of my shed - I made a ledge out of an old wardrobe so the buns have somewhere off the ground to sit on or snuggle into - this will be stuffed with hay in the winter

CIMG2853.jpg

Buns in their new home
CIMG2890.jpg

CIMG2874.jpg

Ive meshed over the shed windows
CIMG2855.jpg

The flap from shed to run - was going to get a cat flap but I think this works just as well as its also a ramp but I can shut it if I want to
CIMG2904.jpg

The shed with attached run which was temporary while I was waiting for my avairy panals and also introducing space gradually to my newly bonded 4

CIMG2895.jpg

Attaching the avairy panals

CIMG3172.jpg

The finished product, I used corrugated plastic sheets from Wickes on the roof

CIMG3221.jpg

CIMG3210.jpg

Inside the avairy

CIMG3227.jpg

CIMG3230.jpg

Hi, I had some of my panels( the sides) half strong mesh and half blocked in so the light came in, but the wind and rain stayed out, all tbe front panels were mesh so the buns could see out into the garden,:wave:

I have an 8ft x 6ft shed attached to the same size aviary. As I had so much indoor space I didn't bother getting a solid roof put on my aviary but if I'd had anything smaller than a 6ft x4ft shed I probably would have done.

I used aviaries4u who were fab. I plumped for 16g mesh instead of the standard 19g which was exactly the right decision as we have a local fox and the 19g mesh on my grass run just doesn't cut it in my opinion. My aviary is also made of good quality chunky (2"x2") wood so is very sturdy. No decent pics of it atm as I've not long had it but definitely pleased with it.

IMG_1427.jpg

This is mine, 8x6 shed and 8x8ft avairy attached, the avairy is screwed into concrete. We used corrugated heavy duty Perspex and slopped the avairy roof slightly, then it has guttering along the back for the water to run into which feeds into a water but. My avairy is 90% recycled panels from runs I had, only had to make one extra panel and the shed is also recycled.

Thank you everyone, mine is going to run along the back fence so at one side will be the side fence, and at the other side will be the side of the summerhouse, so it will be closed in on 3 sides. It will be approx 4.5 metres long, but will be south facing so I'll need to think about sun shade. I'll make a note about making it 6' high so I can stand up in it, good idea.
Love everyone's photos, thank you.

P.s. Caths101, my little boy was born on 27th august 2011 too!

Thank you everyone, mine is going to run along the back fence so at one side will be the side fence, and at the other side will be the side of the summerhouse, so it will be closed in on 3 sides. It will be approx 4.5 metres long, but will be south facing so I'll need to think about sun shade. I'll make a note about making it 6' high so I can stand up in it, good idea.
Love everyone's photos, thank you.

P.s. Caths101, my little boy was born on 27th august 2011 too!

Aww :love: how strange :) and how time has flown hey, first they were little babies and now cheeky toddlers!!

Will your aviary be attached to shelter? A shed? As if it is I wouldn't worry About shade too much, some boxes etc and little hidey places would be ok. Mine love laying out in the sun. You can get ice pods as well

Yes, I've got a runaround tunnel to give permanent access to the run from the summerhouse and I'll still use that for access to the aviary when it's built so I suppose they will be able to get shade if they need it. I tend to panic and overthink everything!

Oh yes time does fly, I can barely remember my little boy being a baby, sometimes I feel sad about how fast he is growing, but then he learns something new almost every week and I'm amazed by him, he has just started to say "I love you mummy", and it melts my heart :love:

Thank you. I have one of those tarpaulins for the run at the moment, so maybe I could use that as you have on the front when the rain is really bad. How do u fasten it on?

Thank you. I have one of those tarpaulins for the run at the moment, so maybe I could use that as you have on the front when the rain is really bad. How do u fasten it on?

We have hooks screwed onto the wood to match where the holes are in the tarpaulin, reinforced in windy times with a few bungee cords. We also have bamboo screening over the roof now to cut down on sun, and some tarpaulin attached to a long piece of wood which goes under the bamboo and keeps the rain out at the sides.

My aviary is attached to the shed and is accessed by a hole in the side of the shed. Because the weather is so rubbish in this country and they have permanent access to the run I started off having 3 sides meshed/half meshed, this has now changed to 3 wooden sides and I had a tarpaulin raincover made to fit the front which I roll up when the weather is okay. I also have insect netting on the 'open' side.

Back