• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think I have a pregnant rabbit HELP!

oasis6918

New Kit
We have just found out that one of our 'male' rabbits appears in fact to be female.
I have no idea about pregnancy in rabbits, how to know how far she is etc.

I can,t feel any fetuses as such but can feel something and she's quite rounded but squishy not really firm so she may have a while to go yet.

I have separated the male rabbit from her, I also have read they can have phantom pregnancies.

The whole reason we checked the sex was because 'she' suddenly started growling/grunting and diving/being aggressive towards the ither one when he went up to her outside the cage. Inside the cage he has been trying to mate with her more and more so we thought she was getting fed up with him (when we thought they were both male if that makes more sense) we were going to get him neutered this month.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

p.s I cant get to the vets until next Saturday.

How old is she? Rabbit gestation is about a month. I would provide lots of soft hay to nest in, she will pull her fur to line the nest.. my rescue doe did this the night before giving birth. I'd recommend putting her onto Junior pellets to give her more protein

How old is she? Rabbit gestation is about a month. I would provide lots of soft hay to nest in, she will pull her fur to line the nest.. my rescue doe did this the night before giving birth. I'd recommend putting her onto Junior pellets to give her more protein

I believe she was 7/8 weeks when we got her on 18th October so 15/16 weeks.

I have put plenty of straw and hay in for her, she hasn't started pulling her fur out though. I am not even sure if she is old enough to get pregnant yet.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Pretty sure females can become pregnant at 4 months old, perhaps younger. If that is the case then it's possible she is pregnant. Don't worry about no fur yet, it's usually done the day/night before but apparently some does don't do it until after they've given birth.

You will prob want to increase the amount of pellets she gets as she will need more to produce milk and for energy for herself.

Hope everything goes ok for her :)

It's certainly possible she could pregnant. You could get her checked by a vet, if they can't detect a pregnancy then you could spay her immediately, that way if she is in very early stages it would prevent it.

Otherwise, note todays date and cross your fingers for 4 weeks :) They usually build a nest somewhere between a few days and a few hours before the birth, but they also do this with phantom pregnancies so its not a definite indicator.

Getting the male neutered now would mean they could go back together once you knew for sure.

If you bought them from a pet shop/breeder I'd suggest complaining and suggest they pay for the males neuter.

Back