• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please.

ClaireBoo

Young Bun
As some of you are aware I have a doe and 5 12 day old kits. Now I know they are going to need A LOT more room as there is more of them. So I was wondering if while they are inside if I got an extra large dog crate boxed in the bottom part so the kits can't escape through the bars then added something like a carrot cottage, a litter tray etc would this be ok?? I'm also looking at moving them into either my living room or my kitchen.
Any advice would be great thanks in advance

Claire Xx

I wouldn't disrupt Mum and babies too much , in another week it won't be too traumatic. What about a dog pen, I bought an 8 piece one for £18 on the internet. Took just a few days to arrive.

I wouldn't disrupt Mum and babies too much , in another week it won't be too traumatic. What about a dog pen, I bought an 8 piece one for £18 on the internet. Took just a few days to arrive.

Something the size of a pen would be ideal but be very careful as baby buns can easily become trapped in the bars of the pens. They tend to be less rigid than cages etc. We found that our babies (we had a litter of 7 from a rescue bun nearly a year ago now) could just get out of the runs we normally used for our other buns. Fortunately all 7 survived and we have luckily been able to keep them all so all 7 babies and their mother live together in an indoor pen. They are a complete joy to live with and we have been so lucky as although we had to separate them to prevent any further pregnancies. once the two boys were neutered and all the girls speyed they just all fitted back together. They are our 'Jenga' family as they all pile in to one small space no matter how much room we give them!

Good luck :wave:

I'm so confused about whats best, I wouldn't move them til they were up and moving about etc I do want to move them into my living room

Are they inside or outside at the moment?
What size accommodation do they have at the moment? They are still very young to be disturbed too much. You really need to leave them be until they are about 5/6 weeks old.

Sorry, just seen your other post. Can you move the hutch to a room where the dog doesn't go? If you can put it in a spare room you could open the hutch door to let mum have a run for more space. The babies will grow very quickly now and will start exploring the hutch. It's best if they can be all kept on one level. How big is your hutch?

I haven't got a spare room, the hutch they are in is a large 2 tier, I let mum out everyday, I have what was a storage cupboard but is now open at the front but I don't think it would be big enough. Hmm gonna have to have rethink, I might be able to move the dogs crate and let them have the run of the hall

Back