• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Change in behaviour

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi I need some help.

One of my rabbits has become a little withdrawn. She is naturally quite shy but is tending to stay under the table and is sleeping more.

I had her at the vets yesterday and the vet gave her a thorough exam and could find nothing wrong (they're rabbit savvy).

She is eating/drinking/pooping/weeing/grooming herself and husbunny/moving (walking not running like mad) as normal.

She is a house bunny with lots of time out of her run.

Im just puzzled as to the problem? !

Any ideas would be appreciated. (OH thinks I'm over thinking things but I've noticed her being 'quieter' than usual)

Ps I'm taking her back to the vets on 27th if no different

When did it start? Did anything coincide with it? For example, some bunnies find things like Christmas decorations 'scary' and under the table is often a good place to hide out. How old is she?

Was it just a standard feel everything, and peer in ears/mouth etc. exam ? If so and you don't find she improves they can probably then move on to things like a blood test. It's tricky with rabbits as they often show very little outward signs to give you an indication of where the issue is. Often knowing your rabbits usual habits really well and those tiny little changes can be the only clue, so don't feel too weird saying to the vet I know she's not quite right but I don't know what.

To be honest since I've posted she's been far more active even fleeing round and digging in her bed.
She's about a year old, neutered and vaccinated etc
Vet did say if it didn't improve they'd look more into it. I thought she'd gone off her food you see but the second we got back in the house she guzzled her nuggets and has eaten perfectly since.

They've both shown a lot of interest in the tree and some gifts are wrapped in reflective paper too...

I do feel able to put my foot down with the vets. For example she's pretty bad at being handled (work in progress) and they listened when I insisted they examine at floor level.

I'm hopeful she's okay but I will definitely keep monitoring.

Thanks for replying

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

When you say she spend time in her run...is this run outside?

Tbh, I have noticed this a few time with all/one of my bunnies. I never really find a trigger for it. I always worry that it's pain or discomfort or illness etc etc, but I do think that sometimes bunnies just like being quiet. I think as long as they aren't showing signs of pain, eating and pooing fine and drinking, they are probably just having some chill out time. I do find that sometimes my bunnies "calm" down in the winter. I think it's natural, wild bunnies are less active in the winter and spend more time sleeping in their cosy warrens. It also could be the bad weather and wind spooking her a bit.

However, I did have an experience with one of my bunnies becoming gradually more and more withdrawn and grumpy. It was such a gradual process, that I didn't really think anything of it. He was eating, drinking, pooing and was pretty active, but not AS active as usual. He wasn't running out of my bedroom at every opportunity, he wasn't making a bee-line down the stares, he wasn't binkying as much...yet he was jumping on my bed, getting into the hay and still chasing the other two around. One day I sat and watched him for a long time and realised he was acting in pain, I also realised he had stopped flopping completely. He never laid down fully, instead he was sitting oddly and then grinding his teeth. It turns out he has arthritis. I felt horrible for not noticing sooner, but these signs were SO subtle. He is fine now, although on daily pain meds. I would probably keep a very close eye on your bun, just to make sure 100% that it is not pain/discomfort.

Hopefully it's nothing, but worth keeping an eye on.

They're indoor rabbits but are in a secure run inside unless supervised.

Hoping I'm over thinking it but definitely monitoring closely

Thanks for all replies x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back