• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hamster house

A lot of Hammy owners aren't keen on modular cages like the ovo/rotastak etc as they aren't great space wise.

I bet he loves all the tunnels :D

I like the ovo stuff as an add on, it's really nice looking and the front opening up allows you to access the pets much more easily than other cages. I had some briefly for my mice but it wasn't well ventilated enough for them so suffered from condensation.
The other issue I had was that it takes up a lot of room but doesn't actually offer that much floorspace due to the round shape. I'd suggest putting a large bin cage underneath it so give your hammy the minimum space recommended by the RSPCA (75x40x40cm), and have the ovo attached as additional enrichment space.:thumb:

You'd be surprised how active hamsters are when we're asleep!
Lots of people say their hamster doesn't wake up much anymore when really they just aren't awake when their ham is.
I don't see much of my Syrian boy, he's 2 1/2 years old but I know between about 3-7am he wakes up and plays around his cage like a madham!

That cage is way too small for a Syrian and the wheel would pretty much be damaging for him to use, he must have to arch his back and that can cause serious damage :(

Large cages aren't expensive and you can often find great ones on ebay. I got a 3ft perfecto tank for £12!
The Alaska on zooplus is only £40 and is the perfect size for a Syrian and has space for the 11 or 12" wheel they ideally need.

Not to sound rude or anything but I know he doesn't wake up much at all because myself and my partner work from home I work in the day and he works nights I wouldn't say it if I didn't know. Also he has way more space than a lot of hamsters wen sully passes we are going to get a big rabbit hutch thing and put that underneath and have the ovo on a shelf above :) x

Back