• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marine plywood question

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
If I wanted to add a base to a hutch that had a run section at the bottom, would marine plywood be suitable on the bottom? The hutch would then be standing on decking, but ideally I'd like to a) make the hutch more escape proof/predator proof and b) protect the decking.
If not, what would be suitable or how could I make it suitable? Thankyou!

Might be good to raise it up on battons (like a shed base) with that black damp proof strip of plastic between the baton and the ground. Then air could get underneath and the damp wouldnt easily travel up the baton to the floor of the hutch.

Will the bunnies be able to get to it to chew it? When i looked into making bunny accessories I think interior ply is the only one safe for bunny chewing.

Will the bunnies be able to get to it to chew it? When i looked into making bunny accessories I think interior ply is the only one safe for bunny chewing.
Not true, I’ve found nothing that stays WBP Plywood is not safe for rabbits, Marine Plywood uses the same glue as WBP Plywood so it’s fine but i wouldn't use it for a floor in a run if rain will get at it only because it make the floor very wet.

I would say your better of using decking fitted and some WBP Plywood under it to stop the other decking getting dirty.

Oh dear I'm a bit confused.:oops:
At the moment, both hutches have run areas at the bottom which are open. I'd like to attach them to each other as in this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?404883-My-preloved-bargain-hutch
They will be on the decking and not only would I like to protect the decking (from any stray wee, spraying etc) but I'm a bit concerned that they aren't super predator-proof, and a base seems like it would make them a bit safer. But obviously if doing this is going to make the deck rot or something it isn't a good idea.

Not true, I’ve found nothing that stays WBP Plywood is not safe for rabbits, Marine Plywood uses the same glue as WBP Plywood so it’s fine but i wouldn't use it for a floor in a run if rain will get at it only because it make the floor very wet.

I would say your better of using decking fitted and some WBP Plywood under it to stop the other decking getting dirty.

I bow to your better judgement. There is a lot of misinformation on the Web.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all these helpful posts...Grinding one...I wasn't 100% clear of what you meant about the floor of the hutch..do you mean that the back half is solid and the front half has holes in for the droppings to drop through? Are the rabbits OK walking on the bit with holes in..sorry it probably makes complete sense to you but it is hard for me to visualize it.. Would it be possible to use some sort of acrylic or perspex or something?
Wow, that's a big difference in the prices of "marine ply" looks like the pukka stuff is dead expensive and over kill but a decent quality ply for £27 seems like a very good price...

Back