• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay rack idea.

luna

Mama Doe
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone else has already come up with this idea already but I came across a clip on basket on the ikea website and thought it might work well as a hay rack. Let me know what you think :wave: I might give it a go. I find that my buns are pulling all the hay out of the ikea plastic bag holder within an hour and peeing all over it :roll:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80198101/

Me too, I try to move away from conventional bunny items as much as possible. I get a little thrill out of finding alternative uses for things rather than handing money over to a pet shop. I'm terrible :roll:

like the other week myself and my husband got these little souffle desserts from m&s and they came in little glass containers and I thought to myself ... "these would make really cute little hamster dishes"! I don't even have hamsters. What am I like :oops:

I think I might pick up some of the ikea baskets so and maybe put a little back on them so the hay doesnt all come out on the floor. Yay. The things that excite us bunny slaves :wave:

Me too, I try to move away from conventional bunny items as much as possible. I get a little thrill out of finding alternative uses for things rather than handing money over to a pet shop. I'm terrible :roll:

like the other week myself and my husband got these little souffle desserts from m&s and they came in little glass containers and I thought to myself ... "these would make really cute little hamster dishes"! I don't even have hamsters. What am I like :oops:

I think I might pick up some of the ikea baskets so and maybe put a little back on them so the hay doesnt all come out on the floor. Yay. The things that excite us bunny slaves :wave:

:lol::lol:

I do this kind of thing too!

It's good to know I'm not alone.

On the subject of the hay rack I went to Ikea and it wasn't very suitable. Some of the openings were far too big and I think all of the hay would just fall out not to mention the danger of heads getting stuck.

Ah well, it wasn't a wasted journey. I got them the dolls bed , some kids stacking cups to throw around and a couple of stuffed toys :) I love Ikea !!!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

It's good to know I'm not alone.

On the subject of the hay rack I went to Ikea and it wasn't very suitable. Some of the openings were far too big and I think all of the hay would just fall out not to mention the danger of heads getting stuck.

Ah well, it wasn't a wasted journey. I got them the dolls bed , some kids stacking cups to throw around and a couple of stuffed toys :) I love Ikea !!!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Oh my how lovely that sounds. Want want want. Pictures please!

Hi Tulsi, oh yes there will be pictures tomorrow :wave: I'm excited for them to see it. Oh, I hope they don't ignore it. I'm going to feed them their pellets on it so that will probably help I'm sure . Hehe, I love using their greedy nature to my advantage ;)

Hi Hele, thanks for the links . I am currently using the plastic bag holder from ikea as their hay rack and am finding they pull it out pretty easily so I was hoping to find a rack that the hay would stay in for longer :? I have some of the one's from the second link too but unfortnately I don't think I can make it work with my set-up. I use them for storage around the house, they are really handy.

I think I will just stick with the one I am using for now, I really like it apart from the fact that Bobby digs it all out in a matter of seconds but he would more than likely do that with any hay rack I was to give them. But yeah, I just love Ikea . I walk around with my "bunny slave" head on looking for things to get them. I love the kiddies section and I have to confess I have found more things in there that are more useful to the bunnies than my 4 year old. :oops:

Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone else has already come up with this idea already but I came across a clip on basket on the ikea website and thought it might work well as a hay rack. Let me know what you think :wave: I might give it a go. I find that my buns are pulling all the hay out of the ikea plastic bag holder within an hour and peeing all over it :roll:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80198101/

I have this in the 'hay barn' in my run. I have used an old buster collar and cable ties to make a solid back, then used eye screws to attach it portrait way up so the bits that are supposed to hook on the shelf slide down into the eye screws. It is a brilliant hay rack, I have hung it so they can't get in the top.

I got a plastic peg basket from poundland the other day and have cable tied it to the hutch - it works perfectly as they can reach in and get it and its easy to quickly refill which I do morning and night - I only have the two so its just the right size although wouldn't recommend it to any more than two. I also love to go around looking for stuff my bunnies can play in or use to eat out of. Becoming a bit of an obsessed bunny bore:lol:

Bird Feeder

Hi everyone,

What I have used in the past that have worked quite well is fat ball bird feeders
24311w.jpg
or the other ones like
25198%20fat%20ball%20feeder.jpg

If you don't fill them up packed tight then its easy for little buns to get the hay out and you can even hide little treats in there as well.

There easy to fill and can be hung up anywhere.

:D

Jodi

Back