• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost one Bun, now trying to integrate the 'widower'........Help and Advice please

muddymoose

New Kit
Hi
I'm looking for advice on bonding and integration. Up until yesterday I had two pairs of bonded rabbits. All neutered. Smokey and Willow as one pair and Lola and Harley as the second pair. They were kept separate as Lola didn't like the other two. Unfortunately Lola died yesterday, unexpectedly. Today I tried to integrate Harley with Smokey and Willow. Smokey and Harley had a big fight and had to be separated. Both runs run alongside each other, so they are physically close.

Any advice and what I can do or should do next.

The main reason for integration is to give Harley physical company but also it would mean so much more space for all of them to run around. All rabbits are mature adults.

Thanks in advance.....

Andy

Hi there,
I'm sorry you lost Lola, it's such a sad time but good that your trying to focus on your remaining buns.
You haven't said how you tried to integrate them, and how you do it is crucial.
Did you put them all in a neutral space where none of them had been before? If not, they may have faught as one was defending their territory.
As they have had a fight, and it's quite soon after losing Lola, I would wait a few days or so for everybun to settle a bit then try again.
Choose a smallish neutral space, and maybe you need to watch them constantly at first given they have had a fight. I usually don't have any toys in the bonding space, then there's nothing to fight over. Just give them hay and water and see how it goes.
Veganbunny had just bonded a trio so you may find it helps to read her thread, I think if you search for trio you will find it. It's working out OK too, so I hope that gives you hope.
Good luck :thumb:

Thanks

Hi Karen

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'm going to try them in a neutral space this weekend and work at it slowly. I've read about every bodies experience on trios, and a bit wary about breaking Smokeys and Willows bond. I'll see how the weekend goes and decide whether to follow the integration route or start to think about a new partner for Harley.

Kind regards

Andy

Firstly, sorry for your loss :(. Secondly, I've just been through the exact same situation and I now have a happily bonded trio :thumb:.

My first question would be, are all the bunnies neutered? If they are, then I'd bring them into a small, neutral space where they can't start running away from each other (running can often turn into chasing and then fighting). Not everyone agrees with this - some prefer a 'long bond' rather than a quick and 'forced' bond and they give the bunnies a large space where they can get well away from each other and then choose to come together. There are pros and cons of each method so it's your choice. As someone who works full time, I've only ever been able to go with the quick and forced method.

Once the bunnies are accepting of each other in the small space, you can gradually increase it inch by inch until they have space to run and there's no fighting. Don't try to increase space too quickly, however tempted you are. I usually stick with one sized space for a minimum of 24hrs before progressing to the next size. Don't be afraid to take a step backwards if you think you moved too fast either. Ignoring behaviour is good, as is grooming or flopping. If they groom each other then that's fantastic.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. Several of us have only very recently bonded trios so don't be afraid to ask for help!

Back