• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore on back

pyoro

New Kit
Background - 2.5 yo fixed female neth dwarf. House bunny, no companion. No other animals in the house.

Noticed this on her right shoulder this afternoon, and wondering what it might be. Will take her to the vets in the morning regardless, but I was wondering what it's likely to be and what I should be doing overnight in the meantime. She seems absolutely fine otherwise, pooping/eating/sleeping/playing as she always does, but this patch does seem to be bothering her a little bit. I've been dissuading her from grooming it just in case. There are no other sores on her anywhere, her bum is pristine and her ears and temp are fine.

1pc4ub.png

It's about 5mm across. Any ideas? Do I need to rush her in or can she wait until morning?

Sorry about the gross fingers.

She had an antibiotic, painkiller, gut stimulant and subq fluids injected when she had stasis but that was over a month ago.

I sound like such a negligent owner now, I'm not, I promise.

You are not a negligent owner!

I found a scab very similar to this on my bun. She had been speyed, but I only noticed this scab over a week afterwards. I thought initially tha she had just caught herself somehow, and wasn't worried because it was healing well and she never bothered with it. I checked it everyday and it healed fine, but I now think it was probably a reaction an injection. I wish I had noticed it earlier and taken her to the vet, but it's pointless now as she is perfectly fine and the scab has cleared up.

I'd deff pop her to the vet and get it checked out, especially since it is bothering her. It could be mites, or ring worm, or anything tbh!

I just want to make sure it doesn't scream flystrike (even though she's a very clean indoor bun). I'm just super paranoid about everything with her I think.

I've cleaned her out and cleaned my room (bunnysafe cleaning products) so if it's mites hopefully we can treat it quickly. She's got no dandruff that I can find so I guess that's a good sign maybe. She's stopped trying to groom it now and has fallen asleep on me, so I think she feels ok.

Back