• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheep lino??

DarceyH

Warren Scout
So my rabbits have decided that their new favourite game is tipping the litter tray over, so every morning I come down, the hutch floor is soaking! As it's getting colder, it is taking forever to dry out, and I don't want the floor to rot as I have only just got the very expensive mega hutch. So I want to line it. Problem is, I can't find and cheep lino sheets, only tiles, which I bet will get ripped up in seconds!

Also, they keep chewing the inside if their hutch, but I guess that can't be helped!

So my rabbits have decided that their new favourite game is tipping the litter tray over, so every morning I come down, the hutch floor is soaking! As it's getting colder, it is taking forever to dry out, and I don't want the floor to rot as I have only just got the very expensive mega hutch. So I want to line it. Problem is, I can't find and cheep lino sheets, only tiles, which I bet will get ripped up in seconds!

Also, they keep chewing the inside if their hutch, but I guess that can't be helped!

I got a big sheet ( would prob cover my 6x2 hutch floor twice) from b&m home stores for about £20

I saw some 30cm x 30cm lino tiles in poundland the other day...6 tiles in a pack for £1.

Try a carpet shop that fits Lino, they may have off cuts they will give you or sell for a few pounds. Local independent ones might be more approachable.

I saw some 30cm x 30cm lino tiles in poundland the other day...6 tiles in a pack for £1.

I'd suggest this tbh they are self sticking and easy to cut. I spent £18 on a large bit and spent ages cutting it and sticking it for my rabbit to eat and pull it up wasn't worth it tbh :/

I have just ordered some lino tiles from ebay.

You can put mesh over the inside of the hutch to prevent chewing. Those corners that plasterers use are good (b and q sell them).

They do need to chew. Apple wood is excellent for them and willow.

Like the sound of a mega hutch. What is it and where did you get it please?

You can put mesh over the inside of the hutch to prevent chewing. Those corners that plasterers use are good (b and q sell them).

Yeah poppy get stick and toys but as usual the linos always better :lol:

Don't know what corners your on about but will have a wee look

I think other people have found that the tiles lift after a while, there are gaps that wee and stuff can get into. Lino offcuts are pretty cheap.

My lizards have lino under their sand and i went to b&q as they have a big offcuts bin

cheapest i could find was £20 and i said oh no i didnt need that much as just for lizards and he said i could have it half price cos he'd rather sell it than get left with loads of spare pieces!!

This is brilliant, I've been needing some lino to line the floor of this old wooden viv I have as I'm going to turn into a hige hutch for Slipper and have been wondering how to get it.

Thanks to Darcey H for asking the thread for me :lol::thumb:

Try a carpet shop that fits Lino, they may have off cuts they will give you or sell for a few pounds. Local independent ones might be more approachable.

Definitely try this :thumb:

I have bought all my lino from a small independent carpet/flooring shop. They will often price up the roll-ends and you can get great deals. I think I paid £12 for my last roll-end which did three 4'x4' kennels. It was really thick and cushioned.

I have poundland tiles, fit together very close so looks like one floor, and cheap to replace if they did chew them x

I'm probably the only one to say this :lol: but cheap Lino is really a false economy, I bought some for my guinea pig hutch a year ago and it already needs replacing

Just make sure it's a good quality one :thumb:

I give them fresh cuttings From my apple tree (washed and safety checked) fairly often, and there are constantly toys, wood chews, willow or seagrass tunnels and a hampsted log I fill with hay and treats, but ofc the hutch has to be more fun to destroy!

As for the mega hutch, I ordered it from a website called Garden woodcraft, who made it to my spesifications, it's not ideal, as I can't connect it constantly to a run, as there is not enough room on the patio for a good sized run, and if I set it on the grass, I would worry about foxes. Plus my dad dosent want it. They are in their big run a lot if the time, less so as it has gotten colder.
Anyway, the hutch has three sections, an upstairs, a downstairs and a covered run, so it's pretty much just a big bottom floor with two rooms. I can close off the ramp and the outside with sliding doors over the pop holes. I like having pop holes as it seems more warren like. No idea if te rabbits like it, but they seem to enjoy hopping through the downstairs. The top floor is 5ft long, 2.5ft wide, and as it has a pointed roof about 3ft high, this is where they best and I have their Timothy and treat hay rack and water bottle. the bottom level, which is kinda like their play room is 5ftx2.5ftx2.5 ft and covered section (it's covered on the too, the back and the right side, so only the front is actually open) is 4ft long, 2.5 ft wide and 3.5 ft tall. I also put a woden flat roofed house in there, as they love to jump up on things. The roof is also removable, which is great for getting the rabbits out stress free, I close them in the too floor, and then just lift them out, much easier for all of us!

It cost a total of £350 incl. p&p and set up, they also coat it in rabbit safe wood protection stuff :) I thought the price was pretty good for the space I got. Tbh though, if I could have afforded it and had the space, I would have gotten a shed or a big dog kennel, or at least make the bottom level all hutch, it was cheeper to get the run attached then cover it my self, then to have a longer bottom floor.

Thanks to Darcey H for asking the thread for me :lol::thumb:

I am glad it helped some one else too!

Thanks for all the responses!!

Back