• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent... metoclopramide

Rupert & Tia

Mama Doe
Rupert has gas again :-(the emergency vet is 40 mins away n stresses him out Sooooo much.... they gave me metoclopramide last time (2nd august)... How long can it be keptzzz

I would say it is fine. When Mr B stopped eating and I had been prescibed metoclopramide the vets asked if I had any left from last time and that had been from two months before. I couldn't find it at the time so they gave me a new bottle but when I found it later I used that lot up first. So long as you have stored in a cool dark cupboard.

Personally I would only administer Metoclop if you are 100% certain there is no obstruction. If there were to be Metoclop' could make things much worse.

Have a look on the bottle or its box if you still have it, there should be a use by date on it.

It lasts quite a while.

We have medication drawn up for us in case of an emergency- we use metaclopramide, ketofen, metacam and zantac.
We always ask the expiry date of the meds we get and they do last a while. I would say you would be fine to use it after 2 months for sure. HOWEVER as Jane has stated using metaclopramide shoiuld only be administered after a blockage has been ruled out as giving metaclopramide to a bunny with a blockage could potentially cause a rupture!
Do you have any zantac from the vey or pain relief?

Personally I would only administer Metoclop if you are 100% certain there is no obstruction. If there were to be Metoclop' could make things much worse.

Very true. Mr B had already been seen by the vets before I used the older meds. I don't give meds unless I have either been to the vets or spoken to them.

Thank you everyone. 1am saturday morning he was fine! I don't know why they gave him mdv it knocks him out - he fell asleep with his head almost in water bowl!! bless him, he's such a hyper happy bunny that to see him poorly is just awful, he was back to his greedy self yesterday. The emergency vet we seen doesn't think he's got any underlying issues (the last emergency vet we seen said he had teeth issues and might have bladder sludge) as he's put on quite a bit of weight in a month... so he's now on a diet!

I've changed vets - the reason I hasdn't made him an appointment to get his tteeth checked was because the last time we were at the vet, she asked how he is on his back - i dont want a vet who would consider trancing him to operate on him (does that make sense), so i've switched to a vet a mile from our house, who has 24 hr on site emergency services... the current vet emergecny was 40 mins away! they're bnoth booked in for check up on monday evening. im going to ask if we can keep metacam in the house for him, as the gas causes him such pain, but the gas is gone by the time we get to the vets, but obviously hes still painful.

Pleased he's well again.

I think metacam lasts six months as Doughnuts on that and metoclopramide.

Pleased he's well again.

I think metacam lasts six months as Doughnuts on that and metoclopramide.

Oh thats handy to know, the last bottle we had was off, but i'm sure they'll let us keep some at home for him, as I dont think its anything underlying, i think he just get trapped gas bless him. it just happens so suddenly, but the old vet wouldn't listen to me, none of them would.... I say 'he was eating away fine, then his belly swelled up and he was in agony refusing to eat, all within 10-15 mins'..... their response.... well pain will stop them eting and cause bloat...... noooooooooooooooooooooooo the gas causes the pain, the gas causes the none eatage!! why is that so hard for them to listen to! then the trip to vets makes him shake and hyperventilate :( its horrible

Back