• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-spaying - how much food is enough?

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
For giants? At the vets yesterday, the nurse managed to get some recovery food down them and this morning there was a nice crop of poos. Today, they've had their 2 lots of meds, and have eaten a little weeping willow, 2 slivers of apple, 2 romaine lettuce leaves. Willow had a few bramble leaves dipped in pineapple juice. That's all they would touch. Poos have slowed down a lot since this morning but are still there. I tried them with recovery food this evening but it was NOT very successful, a great deal more went out than in shall we say. They are subdued as you'd expect, and trying to feed them the recovery food was very traumatic for them. I wanted to phone the vets but I thought they closed at 7 and it was 6.30. Do you think that's enough food to be going on with or not? Given they are 4.3 kg? I know it's more than Samantha & Truffles ate on the first day but they are a lot smaller.

Last edited:
Are they starting to eat hay?

I've never given recovery food after neutering - they've just started nibbling when they were ready (I've obviously always taken hay & a few pellets in with them to the vets but I'm not sure that they ate any).

As far as I can tell they haven't eaten hay. The nurse wanted me to give them recovery food or I wouldn't have done today. In a little while I'm going to try and tempt them with some more fresh goodies as their meds should have kicked in. I'll change the hay over for fresh stuff too.

Well they nommed a bag of flat leaf parsley, and were starting on some of the fresh hay when I came back downstairs. Nettle has done some very soft (proper) poos though, not runny but soft. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Herbs were what tempted daisy to eat after her spay. I also have her pretty much everything I had/could think of to tempt her, all her usual favourites. Her eating definitely wasn't back to normal for a few days but she never stopped, the veggies always went. I also gave her dried dandelions and forage in her hay to tempt her to eat that.

Hope your girlies are feeling better soon. I'm so glad daisy is done now and the stress is over with!

Yes I'd thought we wouldn't be going through it again. I take my hat off to all the RUers here who've been through it countless times. I'm too much of a wuss.

Back