• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess Caecals

Ailstar

Mama Doe
I keep finding excess caecotrophs in Levi and Daisy's hutch and run. As they are together I can't really tell it one or both of them are the culprits. I don't know why they are getting them, they have an eggcup of pellets each a day, a cup of veg between them (I was thinking of doubling that so they get one cup each a day, but not so sure now) and unlimited hay. Plus I have been putting an egg box filled with hay, and a little bit of dried pea, carrot and herby forage in their run in the morning to keep them entertained. They also have unlimited hay. And I give them one treat (fenugreek crunchie) each a day when I get home from work and go and say hello.

Anyone have any ideas on the culprit or should I just cut out veg and treats. (I've just got a delivery of Hugo's There delicious looking treats as well...sob!)

Oh and also, neither of them has a messy bum, I check every day.

Perhaps limit the treats to twice a week or less instead of every day? If that doesn't work, I would work/find out the nutritional info of what you are feeding them and go from there - some things will be higher in protein than others, so try and reduce these first.

Ok, good advice. The treats will have to be limited. Re. Veg as well I feed a selection with a base of greens (kale, spring greens, romaine lettuce, herbs etc) and then I add things like pepper, baby corn, peas (in their pod) celery, broccoli. (Not all of these at the same time, these are just things I've tried them on) should I be limiting their veg selection and feeding more greens?

I had this with 'baby Violet' and she was having too much protein in her diet. I think because she was only 10 weeks old I thought she should always have plenty to eat in order to grow and get bigger. My vet said to give her adlib hay, dark green leafy veg but nothing else until 6 months, and she has 12 pellets a day, and the problem has gone now.

From what I can remember, aren't your buns still pretty young, as in under 6 months? Because if they are, I think they are having quite a lot of rich stuff, and after discussing Violet at length with Simon, because of not having had a baby bun before, it does sound as though things need to be kept really simple with not too much variety. He did say that when she is 6 months, she can have more variety then, but that her digestive system is still very immature and best not to overload it, and potentially start of any problems that may then be with her for life.

I had this with 'baby Violet' and she was having too much protein in her diet. I think because she was only 10 weeks old I thought she should always have plenty to eat in order to grow and get bigger. My vet said to give her adlib hay, dark green leafy veg but nothing else until 6 months, and she has 12 pellets a day, and the problem has gone now.

From what I can remember, aren't your buns still pretty young, as in under 6 months? Because if they are, I think they are having quite a lot of rich stuff, and after discussing Violet at length with Simon, because of not having had a baby bun before, it does sound as though things need to be kept really simple with not too much variety. He did say that when she is 6 months, she can have more variety then, but that her digestive system is still very immature and best not to overload it, and potentially start of any problems that may then be with her for life.

Yes, they are both 5 months old. I didn't give them any veg till they were 4 months old but maybe I've overloaded them too soon. I just like going and choosing lots of different veg for them to try! Must refrain! I'll definitely try what you suggest, when you say greens I assume you mean things like spring greens, kale, romaine lettuce and herbs? What did you feed violet?

Yes, they are both 5 months old. I didn't give them any veg till they were 4 months old but maybe I've overloaded them too soon. I just like going and choosing lots of different veg for them to try! Must refrain! I'll definitely try what you suggest, when you say greens I assume you mean things like spring greens, kale, romaine lettuce and herbs? What did you feed violet?

To be honest Violet has tiny amounts like 3 pieces of kale twice a day, or a 1/4 of a leaf of spring greens. But Simon did recommend this because if they have too much other stuff to eat they won't bother eating much hay, and she is a fantastic hay eater, and such a little sweetheart. Because she is completely blind, I'm even more paranoid about upsetting her digestive system in any way, and so going to just do exactly what Simon says.

I must admit, I thought the cup of greens daily was for buns over 6 months, and I've always given my buns very little until they reached that age. I'm probably wrong and being over cautious, but when they are so little and young, I just worry so much about making them sick, and so tend to just play safe.

Thanks for the advice. That makes sense, I just started at 4 months and assumed they would be fine to handle a bit of everything. Being a new bunny mum this is a learning curve for me as I go! I'll limit their veggies now in that case until they are a bit older and see how we get on. I feel pretty mean though I gave them some spring green to share last night and they destroyed it. It was hilarious to watch. They have been eating a fair amount of hay recently as well which I'm pleased about. Since I told my mum they only get an eggcup full of pellets each a day she's been joking with me that I'm 'starving' them. Yeah right. Haha!

I dont feed my bunnies veggies at all really, only very occasionally as a treat. In my opinion in the wild they wouldn't have a selection of brocolli, kale, carrot etc etc to eat, they mainly eat wild plants and weeds. Therefore when two of my buns started to get excess caecals I removed all veggies and supplement with dried herbs and forage. They've never been healthier tbh!

Interesting thread. Just had a rabbit come back from having his tooth spurs done. I do give all mine a lot of veg each morning. Think I will gradually cut it down to ensure good hay eating.

Hope your lovely Levi and Daisy go back to normal pooing habbits soon!

Back