• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hutch cleaning

Currently I use a pet safe disinfectant for this purpose, but have just read this:

Homemade Cleaning Solutions

You can save money by making a non-toxic cleaning solution at home, suitable for cleaning all cage types and bowls. To make this you will need linseed oil and white vinegar. Add one part linseed oil to two parts vinegar and place it into a spray bottle.

Has anybody used this? Does anyone know whether it kills all bacteria and viruses? Don't want to take any chances!

Thanks in advance for thoughts...

Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and I use it regularly for my own buns, but I agree with Jane I don't feel it would be strong enough in a boarding enviroment. I always use a vet grade disinfectant if anybun is unwell which you may not necessarily know as bun may not be with you long enough to display any symptoms.

What disinfectant do you use? I buy conficlean or some green stuff I forget the name of which you dilute yourself at home. Its much more cost effective than buying premade bottles and also much higher quality if you are using for boarding as its vet grade.

I use Safe 4 on the boarding hutches and would continue with that. I use a 10% bleach solution on the hardstanding runs.

Wondered about the white vinegar for my girls playhouse and litter trays but as there are two of them sharing I am guessing that it might have anti bacterial properties but not anti fungal/anti viral so better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks all!

Back