• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone who can help with my wee Nethie

snuffle_munch

Warren Scout
Ive had Boo for just over a year now and she is 3 years old. Lately she had been driving me mad, she is constantly up to something, ripping things apart, running around crazy & just being a (very cute) little ******. She has a massive room with her hopeful soon to be husbunny (she is proving difficult to bond) and toys galore!!! Could any advice me if this is normal behavior for Nethies (she is my first one),is it something im doing wrong or is she just crazy x

If its just started up its probably due to there being another rabbit in the room, has she been spayed?

Yeah they both have year ago, and they've been in the same room for about 3 months now and this started about two weeks ago. Ive taken to the vet to get checked over but she completely health. I just what to make sure its nothing im doing wrong!

I have heard that nethies are very hyper, but no advice otherwise sorry other than ensuring she has lots to do, chew, dig and jump on, under or over. Maybe you could clicker train her to jump to channel her energy?

I find if helps if you give them toys that will allow them to express their naughtiness in a more productive manner.. And let them destroy things that you don't mind them destroying! Frasier was a typical Nethie, while Niles is quieter & well behaved, but loves a good run about in the lounge! For Frasier, things like forage boxes, towels (for him to scrunch up and burrow into, just make sure they're not chewing it), willow balls to throw about - I used to play with him.. Roll the ball to him & he'd either pick it up & throw it back, or box it with his paws! Eventually he'd chew it up ;), lots of room to run about in! Niles has always enjoyed burrowing, hiding & jumping onto things, rather than destroying things like his brother. So for toys he now has a wooden house, a bed to burrow in, a tunnel to hide in & so on.

Toys that will bug them into thinking are a great way to challenge their minds & keep them busy! Niles isn't very food oriented, whereas Frasier was a little greedy pig!! So I'd use toilet roll tubes to hide treats in, either by folding them up at the ends, or cutting them into pieces to make a ball with treats inside.. That went down really well with Frasier! Also, they used to have a metal ball that you can stuff with hay & greens. Well, they didn't go for that, but loved it when I put some tasty treats in it instead! They spent hours trying to get them out :)

Hope some of these ideas help x

I have a female Netherlands, Rosie who is the only one of my four house buns who loved to destroy everything! Curtains eaten, wall paper torn off wall only a week after it was done !! I found she just loves a good yellow pages book! She will spend plenty of time tearing it to bits and keeps her out of badness!! Try that, might help keep her busy.

Or a big cardboard box full of newspaper for her to jump in and chew, dig and rip apart!

Sounds very similar to a certain nethie I know, who's nickname these days is buggerlugs :roll:
His favourite distraction is a card board box, he loves tearing it apart. It's a pain to clean up afterwards, but hey, it's better than the wallpaper!

Thank You guys for all your ideas. I just got emails that I had reply's to this to day. nickybunny1 I know the feeling with the ripping wall paper grrr. She also like to rip the carpet :roll: I am going home after work tonigh to try these ideas :D x

Back