• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit behaviour

vicky_26

Warren Scout
I have two unneutered females. Poppy is around 6 and Parker 8 months. They both have their own living areas however, I do let them free range together for short supervised periods in the garden.

Now I know that I won't be able to bond them as they are unneutered and I am definitely looking to neuter Parker in the next month or two (she's not long had a dental op so don't want her to have another op too soon). With Poppy, I am unsure if she is too old now to neuter?

I have never seen any aggressive behaviour, biting or anything when they are together, but Poppy is rather humpy with Parker. However, when I separate them, (lift Poppy off) Parker will always run back and really doesn't seem to mind it. Parker always demands Poppy grooms her and Poppy does in between/during the humping! Also, Parker always approaches Poppy, not the other way round!

When I separate the garden up so they can't get together, they both will stay as near to each other as they can and seem to strive for each others company which makes me think they like being together...

When they settle and just sit in the garden they will always sit near each other but not cuddly like pics I see on here of bonded rabbits.

Can rabbits just be friends rather than bonded couples?! Any thoughts on their behaviour?

If they got on okay in the garden then what you are doing is fine :) I've heard of a few people keeping rabbits that way. They are social she it doesn't surprise me you find they hang out together, it the wild rabbits would live in small groups with multiple boys and girls. Female rabbits tends to be most territorial about their sleeping space, so you might find their behaviour would be different if you tried to introduce them to each others hutch/cage, however if there area is big enough and neutral to start out it might be fine. Although unspayed girls together isn't the recommended option, it doesn't mean it never works :)

As long as Poppy is fit and health, and you've got a vet experienced with spaying the op should be fine. As an older girl it would also remove the risk of uterine cancer.

Thank you for the response! So I shouldn't be overlay concerned with the humping? It's more fighting/aggression I need to be wary of?

I will look to get Poppy spayed also

You still get humping even in neutered opposite sex pairs. However, it can cause problems, if one rabbit gets annoyed with the humping then it can turn into aggression, so yes watch out for any signs of chasing/fighting/bite wounds etc. but it's not necessarily a problem on it's own :)

Yes I agree that as long as Poppy is healthy getting her spayed will be better for her and help to prevent the risk of cancer

Back