• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New coop!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Long story short (and £100 later), the 2 remaining hens cannot stay in their set up any longer. It's gross.. With this coop at least I can help keep them clean! It's not huge, but it's safe and clean!

They're moving in tomorrow, Betsy & Chick :D Betsy is poorly purely from the filth they live in so this may help her recover :) I hid some mealworms in the grass for them to find too.

In my moms car (wouldn't fit in my bf's and definitely wouldn't go in mine!), we were squished at the front and we still had to tie the boot shut :lol: (excuse my horrible arms :( I have an issue with constantly scratching my arms and they scar up..)
null_zpsf7341141.jpg

Up (after 2 hours and some sanding down...) with extra staples in for mesh stability and bricks around the edge in case something feels like digging.. They're right under my bf's room so we can keep an eye on them too:love:

null_zps42806b3d.jpg

Against their current set up, you can see the massive size difference.. I've found a nice looking aviary on aviaries4u for new ex battery hens! Nothing can go back in that, I don't know if anyone remembers a thread I did a while ago with pictures of my bf and I mucking them out and finding foot deep poo and rotting food? It's building up again. At least with the small coop we can move it around and they'll still have free range time.

null_zps261ef5ff.jpg

The inside, in case no one knows what that looks like :p :lol:

null_zps55938301.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest to put the coop on bricks too if possible as that sort of wood will easily rot.

However it does look very good - sad that your boyfriend's parents didn't take better care of the chickens :(

I hope Betsy recovers soon!

I bought something similar for my two buck rabbits but ... was really small (six foot long but only 2 foot wide) and is definately not weather proof (gaps between each section way too big). Hope your chooks are cosy clean and happy in theirs and that being able to move it around helps keep it all nice and fresh. :wave:

I would suggest to put the coop on bricks too if possible as that sort of wood will easily rot.

However it does look very good - sad that your boyfriend's parents didn't take better care of the chickens :(

I hope Betsy recovers soon!

We did think about doing that but were worried about foxes (regular visitors) pushing it over but I think we're going to move it onto a bricked area in the morning anyway, will be easier to clean if they poop everywhere. The field is very higldy pigldy so it might be better off on the bricked area :lol:

My bf has bought it bless him, it was an executive decision and he has used this weeks holiday pay to buy it so not a waste or anything.

I bought something similar for my two buck rabbits but ... was really small (six foot long but only 2 foot wide) and is definately not weather proof (gaps between each section way too big). Hope your chooks are cosy clean and happy in theirs and that being able to move it around helps keep it all nice and fresh. :wave:

When we put it up I said the rabbits would find a way to chew out of it :lol: The hens are old now, so it is a bit of a retirement home for them (or at least until a decision is made about a new aviary..!) They spend their time sleeping but love scratching about in the grass (no grass in their pen) so I think they'll enjoy it:D

Back