• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please give some advice - Bonding two bunnies

Mars

New Kit
Hi,

I think this may of been posted millions of times but I couldnt find any helpful threads via search of the forum.

I am trying to bond 2 rabbits. One male 7 y.o. neutered and I had him since little kitten. Couple of months ago we got another rabbit - female about 2.yo spayed. So, they lived in separate cages for a while and now I decided time to get them together. We did a few "dates" and some went well some went not so well.
I have made a neutral territory for them in a living room (they both live in a garden) and everything is brand new in there so theres no smell of each other untill thy moved. Female bunny seems to be quite friendly but the male one is more agressive. He seems to be nibbing female all the time when she tries approach him or would nibble her even if she lying down and he just wants the same spot there. Maltesers (name of female bunny) seems to be scared of him now and Mars (male bunny) just keeps doing this no matter how many times I told him off. Not quite sure what to do, shall I jut leave it for them to sort out or interfere? Also Im at work during the day so not able to keep an eye on them all day long. There are times when they are lying down but opposite each other, never seen them lying down next to each other.

Any advice would be helpful :)

Hi mars,
I think a little bit of nipping is normal, I'm on day 1 of bonding and my male has been nipping a bit. But don't let it get out of hand as if one bun is too scared of the other one they will have trouble bonding I think. It may be an idea to shorten the dates for a while. Also, I like to try to introduce some nice things to eat, like some veggies or dandelions, when they come together, this gives them something to occupy them and also hopefully means they will associate being together with getting something nice to eat. I also put some obstacles in the bonding area, like closed carriers or something so it's less confrontational and gives the less dominant bunny somewhere to go to be out of view of the other bunny.
Good luck.

thx.
ok, due to some work in a garden cant put them back to their cages. And I take it taking one bunny out of the new enclosement where they living atm and leaving another one in wouldnt be a good idea.
Maltesers not too scared, she just leaving Mars alone. They eat together, no figths, just keeps nipping her on a nose. Even when she is lying down and he would come to her and nip so she would move and then he lies on that spot. What does that mean?
They have been together in the same cage for 3 days now and theres is a VERY SLOW progress, occassionally they lie down not far from each other - within a few inch distance, and today Mars sniffed her without nipping for the first time I think but then later on carried on nipping her from time to time. He doesnt chase her its just seems like he doesnt want to share any space with her :(

Back