• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another bonding attempt... U/D another fight, don't understand :-( !

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Definitely my last if it doesn't work out.

It looks like Freda keeps trying to bite one of Fred's eyes, why would she do that? Is it a reason to split them?

Any advice welcome!

Last edited:
How long should I give it before increasing their area? I think that's where I went wrong last time. For now they are in a small dog crate and we have had a bit of grooming.

How long should I give it before increasing their area? I think that's where I went wrong last time. For now they are in a small dog crate and we have had a bit of grooming.

Hiya, you shouldn't increase their space until they have been settled nicely (ie. No humping, chasing or biting) for 48 hours :wave:

Hiya, you shouldn't increase their space until they have been settled nicely (ie. No humping, chasing or biting) for 48 hours :wave:

Thanks for replying. 48 hours! :shock: Definitely went too fast last time then. I feel really mean keeping them in a dog crate for 48 hours though, they'll go mad. They're happily snuggled up next to each other at the moment, we've had no chasing or fur pulling since the first 10 mins of being in the crate and no humping at all. We've also had mutual grooming, but they were fine at this stage last time and then fell out overnight.

Glad it's going a bit better so far :) I know it's sad to see them in such a small area, but hopefully they'll pass the time by grooming and snuggling. I'd take it really slow with these two since it didn't work last time. Tasty forage is good for keeping them occupied too. Sending lots of happy bonding vibes xx

Definitely my last if it doesn't work out.

It looks like Freda keeps trying to bite one of Fred's eyes, why would she do that? Is it a reason to split them?

Any advice welcome!

when i recently bonded my 2 one kept what looked like biting around the eye in fact he was actually cleaning it i think ...they are now totally bonded i used a large space to bond found this worked better for my 2...they could escape each other if they wanted to.

Glad it's going a bit better so far :) I know it's sad to see them in such a small area, but hopefully they'll pass the time by grooming and snuggling. I'd take it really slow with these two since it didn't work last time. Tasty forage is good for keeping them occupied too. Sending lots of happy bonding vibes xx

Thanks Helen, yes they're all snuggly at the moment so not going to change anything! :thumb:

when i recently bonded my 2 one kept what looked like biting around the eye in fact he was actually cleaning it i think ...they are now totally bonded i used a large space to bond found this worked better for my 2...they could escape each other if they wanted to.

Yes, I think that's what it was! I'm just paranoid after last time when she kept attacking him!

oh dear, it's all going so well except that neither bun has pooped since they went in together! They have been eating. How long should I wait before panicking?!

What is in the crate? I would just have newspaper on the bottom then fill it with hay, bet they poop then! :wave:

What is in the crate? I would just have newspaper on the bottom then fill it with hay, bet they poop then! :wave:

It just had litter in. They've both peed! And they have been eating their hay. I've actually moved them into a small guinea pig cage that is the same size as the crate, in case it's the crate putting them off! So unlike them, particularly Freda. :?

Sending good luck vibes for a happy bonding... Any poos yet? Sorry I've no advice, I've never bonded before :oops:

Sending good luck vibes for a happy bonding... Any poos yet? Sorry I've no advice, I've never bonded before :oops:

Thank you! Fred a has pooped but I'm getting concerned for Fred, he's a bit prone to stomach aches at the best of times. He's just wolfed some dinner down though so a bit reassured by that! Just moved them in to the bedroom for the night, last time it broke down at about 2am after looking so promising all day, so really hope it goes better this time!

So we've made it through the night! There was quite a lot of humping, mostly from Freda, but no scrapping like last time.

So, this may be a silly question, but how do I clean the cage out without upsetting them / jeopardising it? :?

Thanks!

when i bonded my too i didnt worry about cleaning too much but i just moved slowly and removed the soiled bits as best as i could and tried not to make a fuss of the buns or what i was doing

I'd just pick out the poops and wet patches. It smells of them both equally in there now, I wouldn't take too much of that away or change the smell.

Glad they've made it through the night, sounds like it's going well :)

I'd just pick out the poops and wet patches. It smells of them both equally in there now, I wouldn't take too much of that away or change the smell.

Glad they've made it through the night, sounds like it's going well :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I foolishly didn't think it through and haven't left myself an easy way to get to the dirty bits, it would have to be a remove whole cage scenario. Rookie error! For now I've just piled loads of clean hay on top and am hoping to be able to whip the cage out for a quick clean tonight, then I'll put some of it back in so it still smells the same. It's so complicated! This morning I expanded the cage a bit with some puppy panels so they've got a clean area to snooze. We've still got mutual grooming and they're both intermittently humping the other but not much and it isn't causing any aggro so fingers crossed! :D

Someone else bonding the same time as me!! I started with my three yesterday morning :wave:

I also started with a dog crate - there still in there as im also not sure when to make the space larger lol

I have never bonded before - its certainly an eye opener - I feel like a prisoner in my own home :lol:

Someone else bonding the same time as me!! I started with my three yesterday morning :wave:

I also started with a dog crate - there still in there as im also not sure when to make the space larger lol

I have never bonded before - its certainly an eye opener - I feel like a prisoner in my own home :lol:

I know, it's not knowing when you'll be able to leave the house again! I don't envy you doing three, I'm nervous enough with two! How are your guys getting on? :D

Back