• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny island in Japan

It reminds me of Nara Park where the deer are all people friendly and follow you for food :lol:

So are they just bunnies that have set up shop and started breeding on the island, becoming a tourist attraction? Good way to get pellets and treats it seems :lol:

I would love to go there. I've seen this before. There's a couple of theories. The first being that rabbits were taken there after the nuclear blasts after Ww2 to see if they could survive. The second that some children on a school trip took pet rabbits and set them free. Don't know how true either of them are but what a great day out!!!

I would love to go there. I've seen this before. There's a couple of theories. The first being that rabbits were taken there after the nuclear blasts after Ww2 to see if they could survive. The second that some children on a school trip took pet rabbits and set them free. Don't know how true either of them are but what a great day out!!!

I heard that it was some school rabbits that the school didn't want anymore but that the teacher didn't have the heart to put down!

Oh my god that looks like heaven to me! :love:

If there is such a place as Rainbow Bridge, this is definitely what its like :love::love:

The Japanese rabbit breeder people told me that after the nuclear blast, scientists had a facility on the island testing the effects of radiation in successive generations (So they would expose a mama and daddy to radiation, and because rabbits breed so fast they could get quick info) Then their funding got cut off, so they thought because it was an island they could just release the rabbits. Then some years later after a school project with rabbits was finished, a science teacher and his class who knew about the rabbits on the island took their bunnies there and let them go. I always loved the Japanese rabbit breeders, they would make these cute little collars made from silk with japanese cartoon characters on it for the bunnies and would sell them at their booth at the national show, and one time a girl named kiuki *pronounced keee-uuu-keee* gave me this beautiful handkerchief that was silk and had a design on it of rabbits leaping in tall grass on a hill surrounded by waves, and she told me it was rabbit island.

Last edited:
I used to live in Japan but never heard of this place before. Will have to check it out when I go back next year!

In Tokyo there were also a couple of 'rabbit cafes' where you can buy a drink, and then sit in a room and play with the rabbits :D

Back