• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When can I let Smokey outside after spay

DarceyH

Warren Scout
It's been 8 days since she had her op, and she is compleatley back to normal (although very grumpy with me for the medal and syringe feeding!) Her wound is looking really good, and it looks like the tiny scab is starting to peel off to healthy new skin.
However, I have noticed that she has pulled some of her fur out, which as left a small scab (on her back left leg) and I assume it because she is shut in her hutch and is bored, despite all the toys and treats. I would love to let her out in her run for a bit, as I would like to sit with her to gain her trust back again, and she really needs to burn some steam. She has her final vet checkup on Friday, so will know for sure if she is fully healed then.
Do you think it would be ok to let her out for a bit if I am with her to keep an eye on everything?

Hi, when my girls were spayed I kept them in until the final vet check, about 10 days after their ops, then when they did go out I was advised to not let them be too active all at once, so I shut off the runaround tunnel to the run for a few days. I would wait to see what the vet says. In the meantime I'd try to distract her with some toys if she likes them (mine don't, apart from the treat ball) or some edible sticks to chew on. Hope it goes well at the vets :D

Vets tomorrow (well today later I guess!)

Hi, when my girls were spayed I kept them in until the final vet check, about 10 days after their ops, then when they did go out I was advised to not let them be too active all at once, so I shut off the runaround tunnel to the run for a few days. I would wait to see what the vet says. In the meantime I'd try to distract her with some toys if she likes them (mine don't, apart from the treat ball) or some edible sticks to chew on. Hope it goes well at the vets :D

Her check up is in 11 1/2 hours (yes I'm counting down!) I gave her some edible sticks, and she has started playing a little more, she has most of her time flopped out, so she is much happier now I'm not force feeding her meds! I guess it was more stress then boredom, can't wait to let her out though!!

Back