• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Video of Luna after being treated for E Cuniculi

Bless her looks like she is doing really well.

This is a horrible illness which my bun Oxo had on 3 occasions, he responded well the first time to Metacam and Panacur and also the second time. The third time the meds had no effect, I even tried steroid injections. I wish I had known about Zithromax as I would have given it a try.

http://www.onthewonk.com/?p=2.Headti...=menu:Siouxsie

Thank you for this :D Luna is gorgeous!

Do you mind sharing her story with me? We have been battling with Cleo for just over two months now. There have been significant improvements but she still rolls a lot, she can hop in her cage but still very wobbly and clearly weaker on the left side. She eats, drinks, wees and poos fine. We just need her mobility and balance to get better.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?392183-Lapizole-for-E-Cuniculi

Hiya Bex .. Here is my thread on Luna.

She is still on meds Lapizole and has a few more days of anti biotic treatment left .. this is from 25th June this year.

She started with EC suddenly, but has had a funny eye for a year or so. The vet inititally thought it was something that had poked her in the eye as it was bllod shot aswell as containing a white spot. He said she had ruptured her retina .. now I wonder whether it was the start of EC.

She was terrible at first .. rolling around on her side and going into spasms. Very distressing to see.

She was eating and drinking ok, though getting her syringe fed was a bit of a trial.

We are aware this is a long term thing, but she seems happy .. is eating well and just has the head tilt.

Please contact me any time with any questions.

Thank you, I remember reading her story now and I see I replied to it!

I wish Cleo was doing as good as Luna is. She's still all there in herself but its just her balance. She can stand, and do slow wobbly hops in her cage but with her left side being weaker she loses balance a lot. But considering for a few weeks she wasn't able to stand up I know she's come a long way. I just hope she can keep going and her side gets stronger with time. She's worse out of her cage, but she can balance for longer now when out on the grass. She enjoys eating it and when she rolls she gets back on her feet and carries on eating as if nothing happened!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being fair on her - although she never gives indication she's unhappy. Or I wonder how long we should keep fighting for.

Interesting that Luna is also a nethie, I've seen a lot of stories of nethies having this.

Back