• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pls help, my 3yr old bunny not eating, not pooing

shagana.j

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I am totally new to this forum and this is the first time i am posting. I would greatly appreciate all your advice, really looking forward to hear from you as my bunny is not well at all.

My 3 year old bunny, lastly ate on Saturday. On sunday, I noticed he was sooo tired and he kept lieing and stretching down. Normally when I let him out his cage, he gets so excited and is ready to come out, but this time he didn't wanted to come out at all. I then forced him to come out so he can get exercise but even when coming out, all he did was lieing down. I knew that this is absolutely unusual because he was never like this before.

Then I checked his food container, and he didn't eat anything at all. no water no food. The whole of Saturday I didnt know what to do, I called all vet emergencies and they said it is because of the hot weather the bunny is tired but I was so worried that my bunny didn't eat anything..

On Monday, I took my bunny immediately to the vet and told her the problem. She felt his tummy and said it's a little hard and she said he needs to be kept for the night.
I kept calling so many times after admitting him to check how he is doing, but he still hasn't ate anything. the vet said she has given him some medication and is trying to force feed him and he has only eaten a little ( one tea spoon ) and he still hasn't pooed.

Today ( Tuesday), I called again to check and she said, he is still not eating properly and hasnt pooed yet... and she said she has to keep him for today again, and will only let him go once he starts eating and pooing again.

I have been so upset yesterday and today, I really want my bunny to get better. I researched so much on google and I am seeing so many remedies but I am really not sure whether my vet is doing all of that- all she told me is she gave him medication and tried force feeding him and is waiting for him to start eating, but I dont think she performed any tests or xrays or any sort of assessments that determines the problem and find a solution asap. I dont think we have time to still wait for my bunny to eat, because he didnt eat anything SUNDAY & Monday ( very little )

I am sure we have experienced pet owners/vets/ or anyone who just knows good advice here in this forum, Please tell me is my vet doing the right thing ?

What shall I do from my side ?

Please advice....
Can't wait to hear from you :(

Last edited:
So sorry to hear your bunny is poorly. :( Have you tried explaining this to your vet? I can only suggest talking to them and asking for more info / whether anything else could be done / if they could get in touch with a bunny expert vet for advice.

I'm no expert at all, I hope someone will be along soon with some advice.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I always keep asking the vet about how he is doing but I asked the receptionist if I can come and see my bunny, so later when I go, I'll ask them if they can consult a expert or something.

Hello everyone,

I am totally new to this forum and this is the first time i am posting. I would greatly appreciate all your advice, really looking forward to hear from them as my bunny is not well at all.

My 3 year old bunny, lastly ate on Saturday. On sunday, I noticed he was sooo tired and he kept lieing and stretching down. Normally when I let him out his cage, he gets so excited and is ready to come out, but this time he didn't wanted to come out at all. I then forced him to come out so he can get exercise but even when coming out, all he did was lieing down. I knew that this is absolutely unusual because he was never like this before.

Then I checked his food container, and he didn't eat anything at all. no water no food. The whole of Saturday I didnt know what to do, I called all vet emergencies and they said it is because of the hot weather the bunny is tired but I was so worried that my bunny didn't eat anything..

On Monday, I took my bunny immediately to the vet and told her the problem. She felt his tummy and said it's a little hard and she said he needs to be kept for the night.
I kept calling so many times after admitting him to check how he is doing, but he still hasn't ate anything. the vet said she has given him some medication and is trying to force feed him and he has only eaten a little ( one tea spoon ) and he still hasn't pooed.

Today ( Tuesday), I called again to check and she said, he is still not eating properly and hasnt pooed yet... and she said she has to keep him for today again, and will only let him go once he starts eating and pooing again.

I have been so upset yesterday and today, I really want my bunny to get better. I researched so much on google and I am seeing so many remedies but I am really not sure whether my vet is doing all of that- all she told me is she gave him medication and tried force feeding him and is waiting for him to start eating, but I dont think she performed any tests or xrays or any sort of assessments that determines the problem and find a solution asap. I dont think we have time to still wait for my bunny to eat, because he didnt eat anything SUNDAY & Monday ( very little )

I am sure we have experience pet owners/vets/ or anyone who just knows good advice, Please tell me is my vet doing the right thing ?

What shall I do from my side ?

Please advice....
Can't wait to hear from you :(

I'm not as experienced as a lot on here but when mine showed these symptoms he was admitted, put on a drip, syringe fed along with gut motility drugs & pain relief until he started to eat himself (he was diagnosed with gut stasis) but my understanding is the longer the gut is slow/inactive then the harder it is to get going again
you also need to make sure your vet is rabbit savvy as my first vet didn't really have a clue in hindsight...

good luck & I'm sure you'll have plenty of advice off others :wave:

I would find out what medication bunny is on.
If she is not eating due to pain somewhere she needs to have painkillers.

IMO sorry to say it, but your vet's do not sound as if they are particularly bunny savvy. Whereabouts are you? There maybe better vets nearby.

Your bunny does sound as if the heat has been too much and your bunny has gone into stasis....a very bad thing.

Ideally he should have some pain relief, gut stimulant, syringe feeding rescue recovery, mashed up pellets and basically food needed to get his gut going again immediately.

Fingers crossed for your bunny.

Just a thought, if you are not 100% happy with your vet, perhaps start a thread over in rabbit chat asking for "Any bunny savvy vets in...........wherever you live. I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for everyone who replied. i just went to the vet to see how my bunny is doing. he seems a little more active than he was however he still hasn't eaten anything and hasnt pooed.The vet told me he is currently on 5 medications : Painkiller, Guts drugs, etc.

I think he is more active because of the medications, I am praying for him to start eating asap.
The vet said i should call back in the morning to see how he's doing. Im still hoping for him to start eating. Omgg bunnyyyy please start eatingggg :(

Also, the vet is trying to force feed him through syringe.

When I went to meet my bunny, i saw some food powder all over his mouth, and knowing of my bunny im sure he wasnt still at all when they tried to force feed him, so really have no idea of how much of the syringe food he actually ate.

Hello,

Thanks for everyone who replied. i just went to the vet to see how my bunny is doing. he seems a little more active than he was however he still hasn't eaten anything and hasnt pooed.The vet told me he is currently on 5 medications : Painkiller, Guts drugs, etc.

I think he is more active because of the medications, I am praying for him to start eating asap.
The vet said i should call back in the morning to see how he's doing. Im still hoping for him to start eating. Omgg bunnyyyy please start eatingggg :(

Also, the vet is trying to force feed him through syringe.

When I went to meet my bunny, i saw some food powder all over his mouth, and knowing of my bunny im sure he wasnt still at all when they tried to force feed him, so really have no idea of how much of the syringe food he actually ate.

He should definitely have a drip set up and having IV fluids. Has he got that? Also, I would try tempting him with some of his fav herby, leafy stuff , as sometimes when buns have been poorly or had ops, they don't want actually food, just fav things to nibble on. I would check as to effective his painkillers are and see if they can be increased to see if that helps, as bunnies in pain don't want to eat.

Sorry he's so poorly :( Do they have any idea why he's not eating? Hope you get some good news soon. Sending lots of vibes xx

Back