• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my bunny a particular pain in the backside?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I have two pairs, Alfie and Sweetie and Dash and Rebel, both neutered male/female pairs. Dash and Rebel are fairly new, Dash came first, then Rebel.

The problem is Alfie... Each pair has a large set up (wendy house and run, kennel and run) with access to a run on the grass all day most days (14 hours) via a runaround tunnel and they also have plenty to do. I like to let each pair have time free ranging as much as possible, but I have to do this on alternate days or let Alfie and Sweetie out first, because if Alfie knows the others have been out, he attacks Sweetie. No blood yet, but fur everywhere and some squealing on one occasion and obviously I want to avoid it. When Dash and Rebel are out, I also have to put puppy panels up to keep them away from Alfie and Sweetie, or again, Alfie goes for Sweetie. I have also tried covering Alfie and Sweetie's run (I close the runaround when the other buns are free ranging) but he still chases/attacks her. There is at least 4ft between the two pairs at all times, usually more.

I know bunnies can show referred aggression, but is it normal at this level? Is it likely to reduce as Alfie gets used to seeing the other bunnies about? He was on his own for the three years prior to us having him, so his whole life and finding him a wife was a bit challenging and I suspect only works because Sweetie, is, well, a sweetie!

Hiya :wave:

I have two sets of buns that I have to alternate in the garden. I have to block the front of the hutch and run of each when the others are out - if you get what I mean - as one of the groups reacts like yours to seeing the others out and about. I have to make sure that there are no areas visible through which they can bite each other. It has got less overtime but there are still the odd out breaks of chasing and fur pulling.

It sounds like Alfie is still adjusting to having other buns around. Have you tried not feeding Alfie and Sweetie until they go back in and the others buns are out - to try to distract Alfie? I have been doing this with mine so they tend to focus on the food rather than the other buns running around the garden. I give them treats like herbs to distract them as well.

You may have to always let Alfie and Sweetie out first so he is the first one to scent the garden.

It is awful to see them at each other like this so I do sympathise with your predicament.

I expect someone here will come up with a brilliant idea - I hope so as I shall be using it too!

Best of luck x

i have two m/f pairs. charles and matthew will go for each other if they come into contact. it only happens if one of them escapes from the compound and goes to seek out the other....:shock:

Back