• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sunken in sides! help! is this normal after a spay?!

Gizmos mom

Young Bun
So this is the 3rd post of mine in the last 3 days I'm such a worrier.
Phoebes sides like right before her hind legs are sunken in :-( could she have lost weight that fast over 2 days? She barely ate much the first night and the second day. This morning she was eating hay again finally and I put her back in her actual cage today as she seemed more lively and like she was feeling better. The insicion is looking good.

I'm not sure if it is a normal thing or not, but with one of my rabbits, after her spay, her belly almost looked like it had liposuction, like the vet had sucked some of the belly fat out of there. The belly area looked sunken in a bit, but the rest of her body was her normal chubby self. My rabbit was a little overweight at the time. I never did ask the vet about it, but if it is something that you're concerned about, maybe talk to your vet.

It is probably due to how she is 'holding' her abdominal muscles because they will be bruised and sore. Is she still having regular pain relief ?

One of our bunnies did this exact same thing after her spay a couple of months ago. It was pain related, once we increased her pain relief she was much more comfortable and relaxed.

I would definitely speak to the vet today about extra pain relief x

I was going to ask the vet today about more metacam as they only gave me three doses for her. So happy my vets open from 8 to 8 7 days a week! Thanks for the input, I'm guessing they weighed her, maybe they will weight her again so that we can rule out that she hasn't lost weight.

I think it sounds a pain thing as well, and that she is trying to make herself as comfortable as possible. Pippa didn't have any sunken in areas, but was obviously very comfortable and her usual 'loony tunes' self the next day :roll: She had Metacam for 5 days and was seen on day 5, but didn't need any afterwards. My vet told me that females don't tend to eat as quickly after their op as males do, but she did eat some parsley that evening, and she had been given something to keep her gut working anyway until she was back to normal (the next day!!) :roll::roll: Must admit, had been hoping for a few days of peace, as Pip has 2 modes which are sleeping and manic :lol::lol:

My two were spayed almost 2 weeks ago, and Samantha looked like she had very visibly lost weight for a couple of days. Once she got her appetite back she was fine again, and now they won't stop eating!

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences! :-D its greatly appreciated! Phoebe is doing a ton better now, she's back to chasing Hudson around(I'm hoping the horomonal behaviour will ease off now) lol and eating like my horse eats lol

Back