• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Subcutaneous Fluids causing water "bubble" under skin

Britt

New Kit
Hello,

My Rabbit Amelia has had GI stasis for a month now and I have been giving her Subcutaneous fluids the entire time. I have been doing this 1-2 times a day for a month without any problem. The vet taught me how to do this and until yesterday I was getting it done just fine. Last night when I have bun her fluids when I took the needle out I noticed a big bulge of water under her skin by her neck where I had injected the fluids. I called the vet emergency line and she didn't pick up but called back later and left a voicemail, she said that this can happen sometimes and to bring her to the emergency vet if it didn't go away after 4hrs. So it went away in about two hours. Noe tonight I was extra careful that I didn't put the needle in too low and it did it again! I took the needle out and put it in a different spot and it did it AGAIN! I don't know what I am doing wrong. Like I said I was trained by the vet and have been doing it for a month with out a problem and the last few times that this waer bubble has formed under her skin I didn't do anything different so I don't know why it is happening.

Thanks,

Britt

The rate of absorption of SQ fluids will vary depending on the state of the Rabbit's hydration. So it may be that at first Amelia was quite dehydrated but now she is not.

SQ fluids may not be appropriate in gravely ill Rabbits as their vascular system is likely to be too 'shut down'. An attempt to give fluids IV would be needed. Extreme care is necessary when giving IV fluids to Rabbits as over-infusion could be fatal. So it should only be attempted by a Vet.

Back