• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

confused

welshdonna

New Kit
hi all,
not sure if i have gone to the wright section but here goes!
my female rabbit started nesting yesterday, took her all day, then she started pulling the fur from the male rabbit and put it with the hay, she had made a nest with some sort of cove.
woke up this morning and she had destroyed it, any ideas on why this is :shock:
many thanks

they are about 5 months old, they have not been neutered as of yet as i only recently had them and was told its good for them to have 1 litter before getting them done, they are currently together as they have always been i give them seperate time in the run tho, i have always had bunnies but either same sex or got them when they have been neutered, :roll:

Please separate them asap. If she's pregnant she won't feel safe having the babies while he's in with her, that's why she's destroyed the nest. If she gives birth she could kill the babies. Rabbits can also get pregnant straight after giving birth, so you'll end up with two litters if you don't remove him now.

It's really not good for a rabbit to have one litter. It's much better to get her spayed, as over 80% of does will get uterine cancer :( If you have them both neutered then they can live together happily :)

Hopefully you can separate them in time and it's just a phantom pregnancy xx

Please separate them asap. If she's pregnant she won't feel safe having the babies while he's in with her, that's why she's destroyed the nest. If she gives birth she could kill the babies. Rabbits can also get pregnant straight after giving birth, so you'll end up with two litters if you don't remove him now.

It's really not good for a rabbit to have one litter. It's much better to get her spayed, as over 80% of does will get uterine cancer :( If you have them both neutered then they can live together happily :)

Hopefully you can separate them in time and it's just a phantom pregnancy xx

okies, thank you for the help:)
just hope all is ok with her

they are about 5 months old, they have not been neutered as of yet as i only recently had them and was told its good for them to have 1 litter before getting them done, they are currently together as they have always been i give them seperate time in the run tho, i have always had bunnies but either same sex or got them when they have been neutered, :roll:

Why do people tell people this? Its like me telling you its good for you to have a baby...If I said that to you you would be like why? Having a baby for any animal is hard work and carries risks...e.g death during childbirth being the worst.

Also are you keeping all the babies? There are so many unwanted rabbits in the U.K tens of thousands in fact so if you are going to try and re home them then think about the many that never find a home or get put to sleep in sanctuaries because there are too many so do you really want to contribute to this?

To be honest I would get her spayed and your male castrated and let them live as a happy pair but at the end of the day its your choice.

Why do people tell people this? Its like me telling you its good for you to have a baby...If I said that to you you would be like why? Having a baby for any animal is hard work and carries risks...e.g death during childbirth being the worst.

Also are you keeping all the babies? There are so many unwanted rabbits in the U.K tens of thousands in fact so if you are going to try and re home them then think about the many that never find a home or get put to sleep in sanctuaries because there are too many so do you really want to contribute to this?

To be honest I would get her spayed and your male castrated and let them live as a happy pair but at the end of the day its your choice.

:? ta for the input, if she is having a real pregnancy i intend to keep them, god knows what people you have come across i have only had them just under a week so it wouldnt personally be me at fault, soon as what ever happens , happens, i will get them done, i wouldnt want to put them under the stress of having changed home then goin under the knife!!

ok well good luck with them and remember to separate them now because if she is pregnant and gives birth the male will likely kill the babies. if she does give birth then if you have a look on here there is a sticky post with help about that. if you get chance then put up a picture of them....we all like to see each others bunnies x

Hey welcome to the forum :)
The while its good for them to have one litter is a bit of a misconception but you weren't to know and now you do so its cool :)

Id seperate the male from her and get him done asap so that if she's not pregnant you can get them back together asap.
As you've had buns before that were already neutered you might be interested to know that the males can stay fertile for upto 6weeks after a neuter.
So you'd have to keep them seperated for at least that length of time.

Did the previous owner have them vaccinated?
As generally before a neuter or spay is done you need proof of vaccination.

Id love to see some pics of the buns and shall keep an eye out.

I really hope your girly isn't pregnant less stress for you and her, and it won't be adding to the 67,000 buns already needing homes.
Its quite shocking I never knew at all about the rescue situation till I looked into adopting bunnies.

If she is pregnant there's loads of good info on here and quite a few rescues that have had to rear babies from buns that were handed in while pregnant.
So lots of good advice if you feel you need it :) xxx

Hey welcome to the forum :)
The while its good for them to have one litter is a bit of a misconception but you weren't to know and now you do so its cool :)

Id seperate the male from her and get him done asap so that if she's not pregnant you can get them back together asap.
As you've had buns before that were already neutered you might be interested to know that the males can stay fertile for upto 6weeks after a neuter.
So you'd have to keep them seperated for at least that length of time.

Did the previous owner have them vaccinated?
As generally before a neuter or spay is done you need proof of vaccination.

Id love to see some pics of the buns and shall keep an eye out.

I really hope your girly isn't pregnant less stress for you and her, and it won't be adding to the 67,000 buns already needing homes.
Its quite shocking I never knew at all about the rescue situation till I looked into adopting bunnies.

If she is pregnant there's loads of good info on here and quite a few rescues that have had to rear babies from buns that were handed in while pregnant.
So lots of good advice if you feel you need it :) xxx

Lovely post :thumb:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

thank you for that post she didnt mention it, tbh i think she bred them because when i picked them up there were more just born the day before, they all look healthy, no dodgy eyes etc, she has moved away so cant really ask her, when i take them for check up i will ask the vet:p

my bunnies

my bunnies
http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/w...8_593499176_n_zpseb0393f8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

the nest this morning
http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/w...6_821889345_n_zps8cc21c81.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

the nest not long ago
http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/welshdonna1/media/DSC_0168_zps10f780cd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

the Bunni mostly white is the male called cookies, and the bunny with more brown is the female called cream (don't ask about the names that is what my son and daughter wanted lol)

You're bunnies are beautiful!

You weren't to know about the breeding thing, there's lots and lots of misinformation about rabbits out there. :wave:

IF the time comes, there's a great guide here about rehoming any bunnies: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?49947-Advice-on-Rehoming-Your-Rabbit

On this forum, if a bunny is poorly or in trouble, we send 'vibes'. Vibes are thoughts/prayers we send to those who need them. So...I'm sending 'positive vibes' to your bunny.

x

You're bunnies are beautiful!

You weren't to know about the breeding thing, there's lots and lots of misinformation about rabbits out there. :wave:

IF the time comes, there's a great guide here about rehoming any bunnies: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?49947-Advice-on-Rehoming-Your-Rabbit

On this forum, if a bunny is poorly or in trouble, we send 'vibes'. Vibes are thoughts/prayers we send to those who need them. So...I'm sending 'positive vibes' to your bunny.

x

ty so mnuch, if she is i will keep the litter unless any family members want one, dont fancy getting rid of them to someone who will not care for them

ty so mnuch, if she is i will keep the litter unless any family members want one, dont fancy getting rid of them to someone who will not care for them

:thumb:

If the previous owner didn't mention about them being vacc'd and you think she bred then they are probs not vacc'd.
Please get them vacc'd as soon as you can, the nice weather is coming in and myxi is a horrible disease to watch kill your babies.

I lost 3 buns to myxi when I was 12 (22 now) I've always said to myself that I never want anyone to have to see what I saw.

They are bloomin adorbale!! so lovely :love:
I too am sending vibes that your girly isn't pregnant, there is a good chance she isn't she may be a late developer.
But obviously in the interest of prevention seperating till you know for sure is the best thing for now.
Also when you take them to be vacc'd you can mention to the vet if you think she's pregnant, you'll need an emergency vet's address etc in case she kindles at night and there are any comlications.

There was a sad case a few weeks back where someones bunny had some babies then bunny was acting a bit funny in pain etc.
Turned out bunny had something wrong *i think* a kit was stuck or something.
The poor darling passed away :( I don't say these things to scare, I'm just a great beleiver in arming yourself with the knowledge you need to get through and eventuallity.

Let us know how she get's on :) xxx

Back