• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I Know

I don't think there is a way of knowing, other than asking her past owners. But why would you need to know?

I just wondered because her nipple have white dried stuff on and my mum suggest maybe it's dried milk and she was a mum in the past

I just wondered because her nipple have white dried stuff on and my mum suggest maybe it's dried milk and she was a mum in the past

How long have you had her and is she spayed?

As far as I know, ex-breeding rabbits do not leak milk... I'd clean her up and if it reoccurs I think a vet visit is in order. Also, if there is more than like a drop, I'd go to the vets today, before I cleaned her up.

Last edited:
yeah the lactating cud just be a phantom pregnancy thing but id get it looked at to be sure if i were you, especially if shes not nest building, pulling fur or other signs of phantom pregnancy.
as for knowing if shes had kits before, my mummy bun has a much wider ribcage than other rabbits i hav owned and her last two ribs on each side stick out a lot. i assume this is due to the amniotic sack having pushed out on the ribs.
the people i got her off said shed had one litter before i adopted her, but then she turned out to be already pregnant so who knows how many litters that poor bun had due to those peoples laziness and neglect as she was stuck in a small one bunny sized hutch with two adult males, all unneutered :(
i assume Maisys ribcage juts out because of having had lots of babies not because of some sort of abuse because its symmetrical on the two sides of her ribs, but really i can only guess.
also if you are familiar with how rabbits genitals should look you will notice a mother doe tends to hav a larger genital passage with thicker lips if youll excuse the expression! :oops: but this may not be so noticeable if the birth was a long time ago, and obviously all bunnies genitals vary.
so, short of knowing the previous owners its not really possible to say anything for sure but either way id get her looked at by a rabbit-savvy vet to make sure all is well. also perhaps to consider neutering as this will stop her hormones, as well as other health benefits.
good luck and i hope everything turns out all right :D

if she's not spayed it could be a phantom pregnancy.
This happened with my bunny angel and it can be quote stressful on the bun.
Get her spayed as soon as she is of age.
What age is she anyway? X

if she's not spayed it could be a phantom pregnancy.
This happened with my bunny angel and it can be quote stressful on the bun.
Get her spayed as soon as she is of age.
What age is she anyway? X

she is booked in for a spay any way and i took her to the vets any they gave her some cream to put on it

Good that she is booked in for a spay. She doesn't have any vaginal discharge or blood in her urine does she? Just asking as I think cloudy fluid coming from the nipples can be a sign of uterine cancer, so it would be a good idea to be vigilant and watch for other signs.

thats gd hopefully it shud clear up then with the spay, and if there is anything wrong inside surgery will reveal it. just to echo the previous message of keeping close watch on her, maybe start changing her litter daily for the next week or 2 so u can make sure shes pooping normally as thats normally the first sign somethings seriously wrong.
good luck to her for the spay, keep an eye on her poops after as well cos girls sometimes go into stasis post-op.
i swear i spend my life looking at poop!!!! XD

thats perfect, keep it up lol! hopefully all will clear up on neutering then *crosses fingers*

wow thats a long wait! is there no one else locally u can take her to that knows bout bunnies? where are u based? x

Back