• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please delete

I wish I had a suggestion to help, my Patrick has started doing a similar thing, his favourite thing is my brand new carpet :/

Oh no :( I have read a few things that are quite useful such as giving them an alternative to chew, and when they chew the things they are allowed to i.e chew mat give them positive reinforcement so I think this is the next plan for me. They have lots of toys and a cardboard castle but I think I need to rotate them as they get bored of them very quickly.

Do you have a chew mat you can put over where he chews so he can chew that instead? My two love the chew mat, Hugo just eventually cannot help himself but to chew something he shouldn't!

He has a cardboard box which he likes, but his chews the carpet EVERYWHERE, wherever his little paws rest, he will chew lol

Oh no :( what we both need is a chew mat that is the size of a carpet and that can be stuck to walls and skirting boards!!! If I come across anything useful in my googling I will post the links on here for you.

Hi,
When Berry first starting chewing my carpet I tried everything to stop him. I got him carpet squares he could chew, toys, hay balls, boxes the lot. Nothing stopped him. I once found him in the inside of the underside of the sofa - if you get what I mean. Little devil. It was my choice to keep him as a free house rabbit so I blocked in all cables and let him get on with it. 8 years on and he doesnt do it as much now as he is older. Tillie was nearly as bad, but Blossom and Bramble although they do gnaw at skirting boards dont seem to be quite as bothered as the others were. When people come to my house, they know they have to climb over barriers and will see holes in the carpet and wood chewed. Its a clean house but rabbit worn - I wouldnt have it any other way but I do understand that its not for everyone! :lol:

One option is a puppy pen (or two linked) and basically you fill the room with it with you and the bun on the inside and edge of the room are protected. They fold up when not in use so you don't have to have it there all the time.

You can also bunny proof individual things eg table/chair legs with pipe cut to size slipped over. Clear perspex on walls. A tile in the corner of the carpet.

Proving alternatives is the other important thing, a couple of cardboard boxes/tunnels with little doors that he can shred/alter/play in. A treat ball with food. Other food to hunt out. A digging box with shedded paper/hay/pieces of chewed cardboard box :lol:

One option is a puppy pen (or two linked) and basically you fill the room with it with you and the bun on the inside and edge of the room are protected. They fold up when not in use so you don't have to have it there all the time.

You can also bunny proof individual things eg table/chair legs with pipe cut to size slipped over. Clear perspex on walls. A tile in the corner of the carpet.

Proving alternatives is the other important thing, a couple of cardboard boxes/tunnels with little doors that he can shred/alter/play in. A treat ball with food. Other food to hunt out. A digging box with shedded paper/hay/pieces of chewed cardboard box :lol:

Trouble with hard core bunny proofing is personally, I think it makes house look a total mess! I have blocked off around my sofas as they are antique and not letting his little nashers anywhere near those bad boys. I have just been putting him in his pen when I catch him chewing the carpet, hopefully he will learn. He is going to become an outdoor bun when the weather warms up anyway, then he can chew till his heart content!

Thank you for your replies :) they have been really helpful.

I have fenced off any cables, under the bed, round a chair they try and get under and the sofa, but he just seems to want to take a chunk out of anything he sees!

Today I found chunks in 2 other things, the problem is I cannot proof everything and if he gets the chance he will bite anything he can get his teeth into! I have already given them to kitchen to have!

So the new approach is I have put all of the tunnels, hay, chew mats, old telephone books etc in the bedroom and see if that is enough distraction for when he is in there! I will click when he is chewing his toys so he has positive reinforcement and I will give him treats and see how I get on with that!! Apparently they respond better to positive reinforcement.

One of mine was a bit of a chewer... I was advised to try eucalyptus oil on the areas he favoured (a little goes a very long way)
gotta say, it worked a treat & now I don't have to use anything!

good luck! :wave:

To some extent I think, chewing or accepting a 'different' look to your room with bunny proofing is the pay off for having house rabbits. Chewing is what rabbits do and I am surprised people don't anticipate this :D

My rabbits are outdoor rabbits and free range and I have to accept they will dig and eat my plants, which I do happily accept :D

Good luck finding a solution :)

Cara

Thank you :) I will give the Eucalyptus oil ago.

I completely agree re accepting some damage, I guess we were spoilt with Jasmine as she does not chew anything she is an angel on that front so it is a new thing we have had to accept. Generally I am more concerned that he is ingesting stuff like wallpaper which cannot be good for him.

I have accepted that he will have a go at my books and things like that,and those things I do not really care about but I think we may have to consider keeping them in a pen from now on, it is a huge one, and only free range when I can keep my eyes on him at all times

Thank you :) I will give the Eucalyptus oil ago.

I completely agree re accepting some damage, I guess we were spoilt with Jasmine as she does not chew anything she is an angel on that front so it is a new thing we have had to accept. Generally I am more concerned that he is ingesting stuff like wallpaper which cannot be good for him.

I have accepted that he will have a go at my books and things like that,and those things I do not really care about but I think we may have to consider keeping them in a pen from now on, it is a huge one, and only free range when I can keep my eyes on him at all times

Good luck!! :wave:

Thank you :) he is such a lovely bunny so I will give him all my time and patience and see what I can do. He has been amazing so far today so I think the positive
reinforcement is working :) he loves neck rubs so have been giving him lots of those when he chews his things :)

To some extent I think, chewing or accepting a 'different' look to your room with bunny proofing is the pay off for having house rabbits. Chewing is what rabbits do and I am surprised people don't anticipate this :D

My rabbits are outdoor rabbits and free range and I have to accept they will dig and eat my plants, which I do happily accept :D

Good luck finding a solution :)

Cara

Yes I there is a pay off, and obviously I am aware that rabbits chew :p
For me it's about trying to find a solution that suits both myself and my bunny.

Back