• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant/nursing bunny

She should have more pellets than usual, nursing mums and babies are usually free-fed pellets, although obviously within reason, as you don't want her to stop eating hay or leave her caecotrophs (the special poos that they eat straight from the bottom).

She should have more pellets than usual, nursing mums and babies are usually free-fed pellets, although obviously within reason, as you don't want her to stop eating hay or leave her caecotrophs (the special poos that they eat straight from the bottom).

Ok, she has been getting as much pellets and hay as she wants, I was just wondering if there were any minerals or anything like that the she should have.

Ok, she has been getting as much pellets and hay as she wants, I was just wondering if there were any minerals or anything like that the she should have.

The vitamins and minerals that she needs will be in the pellets and hay. Of course, she can also have her usual greens as well. Yes, hay should always be free-fed as they need to eat a minimum of a pile the size of themselves every day normally. With an adult bunny you usually restrict their pellets to a tablespoon per kg of bodyweight, but with a nursing/pregnant mum you don't need to. Watch her poos though, if she is eating too many pellets and it is causing a slow gut then you may need to limit them.

Some breeders use junior pellets, some use normal adult pellets. I wouldn't bother changing them if she is close to giving birth, as the last thing you need is a dodgy tummy and pellets need to be changed so carefully and slowly that you won't have time.

Last edited:
Back